South Bend Signal company

nolatron

Today my order of Signals arrived. I order 1 single target searchlight signal, and 1 double target.

My first reaction was Oooo.... pretty. I really like that these signals use a circuit board based LED. There's no mini bulb poking out or anything. They are also 2 wired LEDs. So hookup should be pretty simple.

Only 2 things concerned me.

First, there's no "shade" inside the target head, so you can see the circuit board inside. However, when the signal is on you can't really see it. And often do would I actually look dead on inside the head when the signal is installed? Probably never. So in the end, not a big issue really.

Second however is the size. Compared to the Protech N-scale signal I have, it's a little larger, especially the target head itself.

How much of out scale it is I couldn't say. Anyone have prototype sizes available? I'll have to check google.

Overall, I like the signals and if the scale size isn't that bad when placed on the layout and next to train, I'll probably stick wih using these.

Here's some pics though. Protech on the left, SBSC on the right.

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
In my opinion, it's a bit too big, it looks like an HO Scale target.

I don't mean to be mean, please don't be offended, it's just my opinion, in the end, obviously, your choice.