South Africa

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Actually, there is only around 100 miles of the 3' gauge left. The real railroads are all 56.5" gauge now like the rest of the country. The last service on the narrow gauge circle was closed down in 1967 (or maybe 6. Long before then, the most profitable lines had already been converted to 56.5" gauge.
In 1968, four freight runs were made on the DRGW narrow gauge.

In the late 1800s, 3' gauge predominated in Colorado, and 4'8.5" was called "broad gauge" by locals.

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
Do you think it was called "Broad" gauge because it was used to bring all the ladies of the night to the mining towns? Just a thought sign1:rolleyes:

sign1sign1sign1sign1sign1sign1 Hehe!

NKP174 (or anyone else on here for that matter): If you come to S. Africa, be sure to take a visit to my house, you can even spend a few days if you want. There's lots of train places to see here in Johannesburg.

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
Speaking of Biltong, what is Beef Jurkey?

I assume it is the same thing, as biltong is shreaded raw meat and, droe wors (dry sausage), is sticks of meat.

You can buy "Bokoms" in Cape Town, which is fish biltong- we once had to take some with us back to Jo'burg, let me tell you that travelling 1500kilometers (999miles) with the stuff is a stinky affair!

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Biltong that I had (both kudu and osterich) was must more moist that what I think of as the beef jerky we buy here in the States. I would definitely pass on the fish biltong:eek::eek: although I would be happy for someone to pay my way to go back to Cape Town to check everything else out. Do you know "bubbly"?

Bob

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
Hi Bob

What you had is known as wet biltong- for obvious reasons.

But you get the dryer types such as dry worse etc.

Do you mean the stuff the Indians (well mainly) smoke- Hubbly Bubbly?

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
As far as I know it's not harmful actually- although these days they make it harmful by putting Zol (weed) in it too.

Anyway, it's now thundering and storming and the rains a pouring, so I'm gonna disconnect for now.

See you guys later....

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
When we went down to the Cape from Cape Town we came back along the Indian Ocean side through Simonstown. Somewhere along that stretch we ate lunch at the Black Marlin Restaurant. As I recall, excellent food, as it was everywhere we ate in SA and Lesotho.

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
Did you take the train to Simons Town? It's so cool to see the sea like a meter or two away from you and as the waves crash to feel the cool water spray come through the windows!

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
No we had a combie and driver. We used him most of the days we were in the Cape Town area then had him drive us to Port Elizabeth via the Little Karoo. As I recall we spent the night in Wilderness, near George. Beautiful drive.