Soundtraxx DCC Decoder question

camelot

Looking at getting some Soundtraxx decoders , anyone know if they run well/at all on DC as well as DDC.

My TCS decoder works great of DC , my lenz only works forward.

any experience would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Ian:D

Gary Pfeil

Ian, I can't say for 100% sure, but Soundtrax decoders do not support DC operation. I have used mostly the DSD150 series, also the drop in for the Bachmann 2-8-0. These do not. I'm pretty sure their sound only decoders do not support Dc either. They should be coming out with new full featured decoders soon, as the DSD150 line is no longer available. Perhaps the new ones will support DC, I think Soundtrax needs to compete with the Quantum decoders featured in Broadway ltd. locos. Too bad the Quantum units aren't available seperately. Sure would like to see some competition out there.

camelot

Thanks for the reply Gary , yes the Quantumsound feature in the broadway locos sound very interesting , i believe you can operate the sound on DC as well by switching the reverse polarity very quickly, or something like that.

shame about the soundtraxx not being dc though , in Australia there are very few DCC layouts whcih means if i use them they would only be able to run on my layout........

i have to think about this !

Cheers

camelot

MRC Sound decoders

I see that MRC has brought out a sound/train decoder that is arround $60US complete with NMRA plug ans speaker , anybidy used this at all , its ½ the price of soundtraxx decoders

MRC sound decoder

Cheers

camelot

Yes a fair review by Tony Trains , i noticed thier add in MR saying that is was satisfactory sound at a great price.

The reason i may look into it is that i run a small layout on an beginners DDC station (Lenz Compact/Atlas Commander) , i have no need for all the bells and whistles (literally) as i only have 2 functions.

I just want the basic running and whistles sounds

I downloaded the manual for the desiel , the decoders are very simple compared to most and once again it dosn't run on standard DC which leaves me with the same dilema ,
as they would only be able to run on my home layout.

I also noticed that they had to put a resistor to make the sound quiter and a little more prototypical

Cheers

Ian

brakie

I use the Sound Traxx DSD-LL110LC in 4 of my P2K GP9s and the DSD-AT100LC for my 2 Atlas RS1s.. I use the Edgeport speaker.These are plug and play systems all you do is remove the current light board in your engine and replace it with the DCC/Sound board of your choice and connect and mount the speaker.

You can use all the functions of the system with your DCC starter set...Check your owner manual for instructions..Enjoy.

Donn Welton

Brakie,

Is installing the Soundtrax DSD-AT100LC in your RS-1's difficult? Where do you mount the speaker and could you do this without cutting away part of the metal that is used to weigh the engine? A brief list of the steps you took to mount the decoder and the speaker would be a help to many.

Cheers,
Donn

camelot

I would be interested in Donn's question too , my only desiel i have and will prolly ever have (save for a S1 maybe) is an Atlas RS 1.

I would like to equip it with sound later.

Cheers

Ian

brakie

Don,No it is rather simple-almost to simple.

First the good part its plug and play. The DSD-AT-100LC is both a DCC and sound decoder built into the same package the light-board.

This is very easy to install all you do is remove the existing light board in the Atlas locomotive and replace with the AT100LC liight board that has the DCC decoder and sound system.Next hook up the speaker and install..Test.Adjust volume to your tastes.

I use the Edgeport Speaker part number 810086 due to its size .99"x.99"x.38" and it comes with a built in baffle.It fits just about anwhere....I mount mine on the inside top of the cab roof.