Sorry!

....but I don't like the new format one bit - I doubt I shall be around here much any more. There may well have been good reasons for changing it - but it ain't my cuppa tea, I'm afraid.
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

cidchase

Lotta knee**** reaction to the new forum look. One thing I noticed was that we now have an index to unread posts, not just new ones since last visit!!
This is a good feature, I think. In all fairness to the moderators who have put
in a lot of effort to make this a sucessful forum, maybe we should refrain from the "see you later" posts and give it a chance. I think the e-bay ads are
quite objectionable, but all things take time. What Peter needs is feedback. What features do you find are better, not just what you think is worse.
JMO,FWIW (five years ago I never would have used such shorthand :p )

Question: what's wrong with the word k_n_e_e-j_e_r_k????? I was bleeped!!:)

rogerw

Hanging in There

IT has taken a few hours to get around but its getting easier. I will hang around and learn. If I do find some problems or suggestions I will post them. If we get back 80 % of the old gauge its still going to be a great place. BUt think about if we get back 100+% I can hang in there.
Thanks roger

Ok, quick questions, but what is all those buttons down there on the lower left of the text block? Spurl, flurl, del.i.licious???? sounds like your at baskin robbins ordering a cappachino.....
I'm thinking we are going to have to re-populate the gallery:( , we lose all those great shots of items, like Rays massive Nscale layout, most of the weathering jobs that some have done, lost layout pics that dont exist anymore:(
Will there be an option to change style and/or color? Will the forum ever have the host name again? Or is it gonna share domain with the RC, Sport cards?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Jack,

Very sorry you feel that way. You are seeing what Peter has accomplished in a few hours yesterday. There's a lot more work to be done, but he has elected to put us back on the air as quickly as possible and taking the risk that some things don't work right, and others haven't been completed the way they're intended to be. Whatever the end results are, it will take a bit of an adjustment to get use to it. Mikey, myself and all the mods are feeling our way around as well. If you don't like something, be specific and let us know...

Cid,

I don't know what the problem is with that. We had a list of banned words, but it didn't include the word "j-e-r-k". There may be a new list from one of the other forums or as a default from the new software, but I don't have access to that list right now to tell you for sure. As soon as things settle down and I can take a look at the list, I will do so. Remember, we are now sharing a database with several other forums and there are going to be some differences from what we're use to.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
There are already a couple of threads addressing the changes to the forum. While I appreciate that everyone has their reactions to the changes, I'd like to ask members to consider posting on one of the existing threads instead of starting too many more new similar threads so we can consolodate comments and pass information along more efficiently.

Thanks!
Ralph

ezdays

Out AZ way
Ok, quick questions, but what is all those buttons down there on the lower left of the text block? Spurl, flurl, del.i.licious???? sounds like your at baskin robbins ordering a cappachino.....
I believe these are all links to sites where you have information stored, or have created personal blogs. I clicked on them and they all want me to register or log in. One says "click here for more info", and I did, and I got nothing...

Then again, this could be a menu from Starbucks...
I'm thinking we are going to have to re-populate the gallery:( , we lose all those great shots of items, like Rays massive Nscale layout, most of the weathering jobs that some have done, lost layout pics that dont exist anymore:(
Peter is working on the Gallery this morning.
Will there be an option to change style and/or color? Will the forum ever have the host name again? Or is it gonna share domain with the RC, Sport cards?
Don't know if we will have that option. The last time we did, Peter had to basically duplicate the coding for the entire forum, one for the "new" color, the other for "big blue". That took a few months before he tackled that one, so only time will tell.

You can still link to here from "the-gauge.com", but I don't think this will ever be the main URL again since we are now on a server where we are sharing a database with other hobby forums. I've got to reset my bookmarks as soon as I'm comfortable with where I want to link to. Usually, my main link is to "new posts".

The buttons on the bottom are for people who use bookmarking services. To make it easier for them to bookmark.

I'm working on the gallery. No way around it, but I have to manually upload all the photos. Nothing's lost, it'll just take me some time (hours I expect), to get it all in.

The style could change. Right now there are more urgent things to consider. The domains, I think are the toughest issue. If I could figure out a way to make the different domains work using the same platform, I'll give it a try.

Lotta knee**** reaction to the new forum look. One thing I noticed was that we now have an index to unread posts, not just new ones since last visit!!
in a lot of effort to make this a sucessful forum, maybe we should refrain from the "see you later" posts and give it a chance. I think the e-bay ads are
quite objectionable, but all things take time. What Peter needs is feedback. What features do you find are better, not just what you think is worse.

Yep, feedback is very helpful. I've killed a number of bugs already that people have been helpfully pointing out.

Ultimately, with the new features, is going to be what people use that decides if it's a success or not. I've put a good number of new things into the mix, with more to come. I'm sure some will go over well, and some will flop.

Well put. Folks, just try to be patient.

Russ Bellinis

I just worked my way from the home page that the old Gauge url link me to to the forum index for the Gauge then I bookmarked the forum. I logged in with my user name and pass word and now when I hit the book mark, I get the forum index. I never even see any of the other forums on this site! So far the only glitch I ran into was having to type in a link instead of doing a copy/paste. I'll wait a few more weeks before bringing that issue up with the mods to give Peter time to get everything up and running first. I've also noticed that everytime I post I need to click "no email notification". It used to be that I could turn off that feature on the first response in a thread and it stayed off unless I changed it.

ozzy

can you bring back the thing that shows you how many people are in each forum , like 25 in N scale, 5 in O scale, 50 in general .

steamhead

Hi,

I definitely agree that we should consolidate hints, opinions, bug reports and the like to a couple of threads...This'll make it easier for Peter and the mods to "debug" the software.

Someone mentioned a link to a post listing, whether read or unread...Which one is it..??

Keep plugging away guys...It seems most of us are confident once the "newness" shock is over, that we'll get along just fine...:thumb:

Hey..!! the smilies are back...!!

steamhead

I've found it..!! I found it..!! The link to the posts...!! For those who haven't, it's under the "Links" button in the header...(where else would it be...??)

Mountain Man

Jut a passing thought, but it might be equally "fair" to avoid labeling any individual's negative reaction as "kneej-e-r-k". (Wow...this has to be the most insanely PC filter sytem on the 'net. Just think - you can't even say "...the train started with a **** as the slack in the couplings was taken up...unbelievable.

Over the years I have found that denigrating people whose opinions do not match your own leads to those people avoiding communicating with you, and then everybody loses.

Jut a passing thought, but it might be equally "fair" to avoid labeling any individual's negative reaction as "kneej-e-r-k". (Wow...this has to be the most insanely PC filter sytem on the 'net. Just think - you can't even say "...the train started with a **** as the slack in the couplings was taken up...unbelievable.

Over the years I have found that denigrating people whose opinions do not match your own leads to those people avoiding communicating with you, and then everybody loses.

Well, being called "kneejerk" is not as bad as being called a terrorist.