Sorry. No offense meant.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
I ain't no expert on CSX, cause I don't model it, but my understanding is that it resulted from the consolidation of New York Central, Pennsy, and a few others in the mid to late 1980's. Government intervention from what I understand, as the composite parts were in severe financial distress. Don't know what the acronym stands for, if anything.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Mike, The New York Central and Pennsy merged in the late sixties to become Penn Central. The Penn Central went bust as was inevitable and it was at this point that it became the major component of Conrail, in the seventies. I'm not sure if it was considered legally as a government owned road, but that's what it was. The government up to that point had basically refused to see that it's policies regarding rates, union labor requirements and subsidies to airlines and highway construction made these roads impossible to run at anything but a loss. Eventually they had to let the roads cease operation, which they would have done much sooner if allowed. Once the government started footing the bill (since abandonment of rail service was not an option) they started to see things differently. It took almost 20 years, but Conrail became profitable. And was privitized, and became a property eyed by the other major roads, which prior would have nothing to do with it. It was recently split between Norfolk Southern and CSX. Although not accurate completely, one could say that former NYC lines went to CSX, and former Pennsy lines went to NS. I don't pretend to be an expert on this matter, I have read a lot and remember some. Perhaps others will add or dispute facts.

Gary

bobrien

Feb 15, 2002
Waiuku,New Zealand
Visit site
Sorry guys but I couldn't resist this. And not to bore you (I hope) but I just HAVE to show you a couple of New Zealand built trains which I grew up with.
The first is an AB 4-6-2 and the second the most handsome of all NZ built trains a JA (Pacific Class) 4-8-2.
You probably all seen them before anyway.
Cheers
Bruce

Attachments

• ab663.jpg
    ab663.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 57

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Bruce!
Nice photos my friend!
Gary filled you in on the Conrail saga.
CSX was a result of the merger of the C&O, B&O, L&N, & the SCL RR's. In its original form, this corp. was called the Chessie System. The "X" is a symbol used to designate a transportation system...(i.e. UTLX, ACFX, TTX, etc...)
Soooo...CSX stands for Chessie System Transportation.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Hi Bruce:
I've wanted to ask for years: How do those couplings on the front of your locos work? They look like the ones on Welsh narrow gauge, and i never figured them out either.

Where are you in NZ? I used to write to a fellow in Timaru.

bobrien

Feb 15, 2002
Waiuku,New Zealand
Visit site
David
In response to your question on the couplings - well, yes, um......
I always thought that the big hooky thing just sort of clipped into the other big circly thing on the other wagon....
In other words, I have no idea other than that they work.

I can tell you that the rail gauge in NZ is 3'6" (same as in Wales?) owing to the geographic difficulties early pioneers faced when setting standards (particularly in the South island where in many cases, alpine conditions exist). So similarities bewteen the two countries probably do exist (although leeks aren't high on on our culinary fare).

As to where I live, I am about 70kms (about 45 miles)south west of Auckland, our biggest city, in the North Island.
Timaru is in the deep South in the South Island.

I have sent off for some more seriously detailed information regarding the couplings used here - asked of people with much more intelligence in these matters than I, and I shall let you know what I find.
Cheers for now
Bruce