Sorry everyone

kf4jqd

Hello everyone:

This goes out to the people I got alittle upset with my topic on wiring. Specailly towards Shamus!
frown.gif
I thought I had some good ideas that I used and wanted to share. I didn't mean to insult anyone.

So after that. I want to here how would everyone else would wire their layout? Let's start over, ok? Now the topic is: "How do I wire my layout for accorries?"

Andy

I am very sorry to those I got upset.
frown.gif
now
smile.gif

shamus

Registered Member
Hello Andy,
What accessories do you have that you want information on, with this posted, I can then help you.

Shamus

Virginian

No problem, Andy...I kinda knew you didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings..it just didn't seem to be your style.
I have a hunch you'll learn a lot from shamus' many years of modeling experience, as well as from George and a few others.
The only thing I can offer in the way of further advice in this area, from my own experience....just be certain of which terminal you are hooking up to...don't use varialbe DC for Access. or 'AC Access.' for your track,
rolleyes.gif
eek.gif
redface.gif
like I did by mistake a few weeks ago testing an older Model Rectifier power pack my landlord laid on me!!!Fortunately, I didm't totally destroy the motor of my little Trainmaster...but it does run kinda ragged now, at low speed any way...makes a funny noise...I'll have to do some work on the brushes some time down the line, I expect.( the power pack's fine, for bein' 20 some years old and livin' in a garage for the past 10 or so...it's these aging eyes...I keep forgetting to put on my glasses any time I have to read anything except the computor screen!!!)
Glad to have you still 'on board'
biggrin.gif

Best to ya!
VGN

Drew1125

Well, all this goes to show us why wiring a layout is, for some of us, right up there with going to the dentist, & filing taxes.

kf4jqd

Well Shamus and everyone:

I need to explain why I use the voltages that I do. Lets start off with the easy one, 12 volts. This is common voltage for every light I have seen that a model railroad manufacture makes.

Then there is that goofy 5 volts that I know Shamus is wondering about.
tongue.gif
I build my own digital drivers for my signal lights. ALL digital electronics requires 5 volts.

Now you ask me, "Why are the 12 volt digital drivers for signal lights made by manufactures?"

The answer is simple. They have some kind of voltage dropper at the voltage input. It may be a 7805 voltage regulator or resistors. That is why I have 5 volts.

Now the 3 volts. This is an odd one. I could even remove it if I wanted too. However I use this voltage to power a low power 555 timer chip. I could use the 5 volts no problem. I do use 12 volts in series with my LED's.

I have a question for you Shamus. What in the world do you use 24 volts for?

I do have a common uninsallated ground running under the table. This makes wiring alittle easier. I don't worry about shorts because I use power buses on the outside of my table. PLus they are fused.

I have a main power disbution area on my table. Since all of my accorries run under 1 amp. I use 6 conductor telephone wire. I also use it for remote switches and relays. This is powered by an old notebook computers powersupply.

Besides the trains power to the tracks from the transofermer. I do use the 16 volts for the remote switches on the switch track. Drawing power from your trains transformer actually slows the trains down. Because not only are you drawing current for the trains, but also for you lights, etc.

Everyone should now this formula:

VOLTAGE=RISTANCE(IN OHMS) x CURRENT

EXAMPLE:
V=3(4)
V=12volts
Amps:
12v=3ohms(I) I = amps
12v/3ohms=I
I=4amps

Ohms:
12v=Ohms(4)
12v/4amps=Ohms
Ohms=3

This is known as Ohm's Law. It is very easy to learn. Very simple math. I want everyone to know that 1/10th of an amp will kill you! This is why I stay with low voltage. It usually has a low current rating. When you go above 12 volts, you have to be more careful.

I was thrown across the apartment fixing a Ham Radio ampifier that still had 75,000 volts charged in it's filter capasitor. It was even unpluged!

Speaking about filtering. Did you know if you add a .01 microfarad cermic disk capasitor across you accorries power terminals. They will last 10 times longer!
smile.gif

This is what I was trying to say the first time. I hope this clears it up!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Andy

shamus

Registered Member
Andy,
I have a question for you Shamus. What in the world do you use 24 volts for?

----------------------------------
When you have, as I have, two or three turnouts which need to be thrown at the same time,the use a 24volt ac transformer to power a capasiter discharger is used for throwing turnout motors.

George

See Andy, there's still so much to learn.

I just thank God you didn't burn the house down with the exposed wire. Picture wire is for two things only. Hanging pictures and quietly strangling hostile foreign agents.

Just don't ground anything to the plumbing, OK buddy?
tongue.gif
Would you also please use your spelling chequer and proof read your entries before submitting them? So much for this trip to the woodshed.

George.

kf4jqd

Shamus:

That would explain everything about the 24v. If you have alot of turn outs operating at the same time. You would either have to increase your current or voltage. In this case voltage would be safer.

George:
When I write these things. I usually get home from work around 2 am. I will be more careful!
tongue.gif

As for the open ground. I works just fine. Even the grounds to my Ham Radio station are uninstallated. Enfact George, according to Ham Radio Pacticing standards. We leave it like that in case lightning would hit our station. The extreme heat will melt the installation and cause a fire. Not good.
frown.gif

This is why I leave my all my grounds unisallated. May they be for electical or RF.

Note:
For AC outlets. I do keep the ground in the "Molex" jacket. It's not in the open.

Andy