something unsusal (?)

Pitchwife

Dreamer
I was looking at web cam sites for my links pages and happened to catch a string of close to 100 single and double stack intermodals going by. The strange thing was that they were backing up. I know this because I caught the first car (not an engine) and watched the whole train go by. The cameras have a very fast refresh rate, about 5 sec and the train wasn't going fast. Is this normal operations? I didn't realize that they backed trains of that length that far. They have two cameras, one pointing north and one pointing south. I couldn't see the locos in the distance when the first car went past and when they did go by they went almost out of sight in the other direction.
The nearest RR is 175 miles away so I'm not much of a railfan so I wondered, is it normal to back that long of a train that far?

railohio

It'd be much easier to explain if we knew where this was taking place. That said, it's not uncommon for trains to have to make reverse moves. The crew might have been doubling back onto another cut of their train if this took place at the end of a yard. It might have even just been a yard crew shuffling cuts around. They might have had to back into a siding if a switch was out of service. They might have had problems just outside the terminal and it was decided the best action was to go back.

Is this the cam your were looking at?

http://www.western.com/http://www.railserve.com/jump/jump.cgi?ID=17101

If so, then yes they do back up a lot on here. There is a Intermodel loading area to the south of the camera. They are loading containers onto cars and that is why the go forward and back up. This is the UP yard in Portland Oregon.(Brooklyn Rail Yard). Below is a link to local.live.com where you can get a "birds-eye" view of the rail yard.... Very cool! If you look around the image will change slightly because they are pics from aircraft that have been "pasted" together. I have found a LOT of old engine around.... I found a F7 and posted the link to that below as well. It is a pretty large yard!

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=rkfb3h4scpbk&style=o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=5578644

F7
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=rkfrrf4sck7j&style=o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=5576201

railohio

LocoIndy76 said:
Very cool! If you look around the image will change slightly because they are pics from aircraft that have been "pasted" together. I have found a LOT of old engine around.... I found a F7 and posted the link to that below as well. It is a pretty large yard!

Errr... Do you have any idea what's in the roundhouse? :rolleyes:

~BS

rogerw said:
locoindy76 do you have more sites where there are live cams to watch like western.com?

No, sorry. this is the only one I've found that is live....

railohio said:
Errr... Do you have any idea what's in the roundhouse?
rolleyes.gif

~BS

No I don't, should I? Why am I getting the :rolleyes:

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
loco indy there are TWO F-units if you go north east of the spot you found there is a second one thats white near some old pass. cars.SOOOO cool.as for the Q. most RR's dont like backin up since you cant see that far! :D --josh

kitsune

The other "F-unit" is not an F at all. It's an ALCO-GE FA-1, ex Long Island cab car, ex-ex BN FA1, ex ex ex SP&S 866A.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
you must have better eyes than i do cause i couldnt tell the difference! LOL either way its still cool to see old loco's.--josh

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
OH ok i see it now,it has a pointy nose and different grills on top,are those what were called "sharknoses" or am i lost?--josh

Just so you know, if you scroll left to right or vise-versa, or if you rotate N, S, E, W you may actually see different things...... Pics were taken at different times from a plane and then patched together to make a "seamless" image. However you can find some "glitches" Kind of a problem when trying to see something, but cool if you want to see "more" :)

Thoroughbreed said:
Haha, I said it was active, and it dissappeared, cant find it anywheresign1
It was a 4-8-4, looked to be an ex CN:thumb:

I answered this as you posted it! :)

Just so you know, if you scroll left to right or vise-versa, or if you rotate N, S, E, W you may actually see different things...... Pics were taken at different times from a plane and then patched together to make a "seamless" image. However you can find some "glitches" Kind of a problem when trying to see something, but cool if you want to see "more"

Try scrolling from an different angle and it might "re-appear" Just a glitch

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
[Try scrolling from an different angle and it might "re-appear" Just a glitch/QUOTE]

AH HA!i see it ,it does look like a CN loco,very cool to see that nowadays,but i wonder if it was a special excursion trip or a museum move cause all those cars look like yester year's including the caboose.--josh

Ok, if you follow the original F7 link hard left to the same point as my pushpin, you will see the 4-8-4 as it goes thru a crossing.:thumb:
Ok change the direction of view to east and you'll see it.