Something Different

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Just thought I'd drop a line about a question I was asked at the Railroad Museum Saturday.

One of the visitors asked: "What were the Handcarts & Rail Bikes used for?"

I replied: "Mostly for track inspections, but they were used a lot to get from place to place by rail workers."

"Well what did they do if a train came along? They didn't have track detectors, how did a train know they were there?"

I replied with the only think that came to mind: "I guess they jumped off" -- How about it? Anyone out there have info on this?? Ever get chased??

Anyway here's a pic of our 3 Wheel Rail Cycle:

RailCycle.JPG

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
I never took a ride on one but when I was a kid I wanted to build one.The Boston&Maine had tracks behind my fathers furniture company.They even had a siding that went right up to the back door for loading chairs,but that was long before me.

Shane

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Rail Cycle

That makes me feel good, Shane, I thought it was that way too when I first saw it. The thin bar to the left (Rear) of the footrest (Pedal) is firmly attached to the frame.

The Thick bar farther Left (rear) is the mount for the pivot of the handle. The handle is attached by bars inside the frame.

It's designed not to have any moving parts outside the frame so your clothes won't get caught. Pretty neat eh???

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Rails to trails

That's what's driving me crazy, there are a couple abandoned lines within 10 Miles of me. The state is trying to open them for hiking and bicycling.

Of course we already thought, if you are heading West, and someone else is heading East, who takes their bike off the tracks? It could get messy. :)

Here's a site for attachments to a regular bike.

http://www.chaospark.com/inventions/railb.htm

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
N Gauger, I looked up the answer in "The Oracle Of Railroading".

Universal Rule #10 : When faced with an oncoming train the rider is to switch on his headlight, ensure he rings his bicycle bell and scream "MOVE IT BUSTER, I'M COMING THROUGH".

Personally, I thought discretion was the better part of valour! :D

Errol

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Line??

I thought that's what you meant. :) I have mostly trains that just go in circles. Our official club name is JGBSMF&W RR.
named for our club members:
Janine, George, Bart, Steve, Mike, Fred, Wayne & Rhonda

It started out in 1984 as an N gauge (hence my name) But it is now a G scale. Our logo is my avatar.

At one time we were modeling the Deluth Messabi & Iron Range, but we gave up the N gauge when I moved.

Yes I had trouble siging on too....

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Arent you missing an "R" in your club name?

Do you have a first name like Bill or Bob? N-Gauger is awful long to type when your in a hurry:D :)

What makes you a moderator? and what do you do?are you like the Gauge police?:confused:

Shane

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Answer for Shane :)

Well, that's a long story, 2 friends & I started the N gauge in '84 in my mom's house. They were Fred & Wayne, My name's Mike (but I go by Mikey, 'cause that's what my 2 step-daughters call me) :D -- Hence Mother "F" & Waste, stood for our names. Mike Fred & Wayne. Over the years until 1992, I (we) kept changing the name as more "Charter" members Joined. -- ie.: Janine, George, Bart, Steve, Rhonda (My Wife).

Since '92, it has been The "Just a Great Big Super Mother "F" & Waste Railroad". We have card stock passes, an e-pass and have had 3" cloth patches made for it. We also belong to the "Private Road Name Modelers SIG".

The missing R in railroad is because normally we spell it as one word. :) for convience. But just for the "Spelling" it has a second R so it will look nice (like PRR Etc.) Also did you notice the "Keystone" is upside down, and inside it there is a Dumpster with "FUBAR" written on it?? :D Fred Wayne & I designed it.

mfw1.jpg

That pretty much describes the "We'll haul anything" Slogan of the MF&W. Our "Club car has MF&W as reporting marks.

clubcar.jpg

As to being a Moderator, I am sort of a Historian on the Baldwin Locomotive Works In Eddystone, PA. circa: 1920 - 1960. When I first signed on to The Gauge in Dec. 2000, I thought it would be good to have a forum dedicated to locomotive builders. Dave suggested I Moderate it. (The Builder's Plate) So, I accepted.

I unfortunatly have had some bad luck with computer crashes, and My server (Photopoint) going out of business. I don't like using pictures I didn't take for internet use, so I had to wait for another server to come along to post to. All the Pics I post to the Gauge are my own. :)

Hope this was what you wanted... Thanks for asking, and please feel free to call me: -- Mikey :) :D