Something different in Traction to model

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Interesting stuff Chris... a boxcar with connection to run electrical gear...

This is an oil-electric in armoured configuartion for service in western Canada during WWII - when Japanese attack on trains/bases was thought to be a real threat. Photo from the CN Photo Collection

CN001981.jpg

I understand that it was further disguised as a boxcar at one point... WHat attackers would have made of a "locomotive-less" train I do not know - although they probably would not have cared.

Andrew

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Hi Chris,

This might have been an auxhilary power generator... On the roof of the boxcar towards the left side, there appears to be what might be an exhaust stack.

It looks to wide to be a smoke jack for a heater....

The boxcar may contain a diesel engine and generator for producing emergency power if there was a problem with local power or overhead damage...

Just park the boxcar on a siding and fire up the generator. Put up the pan and feed juice to a section of the mainline....

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Guys I got you thinking eh :D :p

Nice one Andrew, There is a lot of "stuff" from the old days :cool:

Ron that stack looks like the one they use for a pot belly stove to keep it warm in the winter , what ya think?

Was it a work car with lots of electric powered tools? For maintenance MOW?

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hey look at that! Hmmmm, a PC box car and a spare pantograph and I got me a model that will have folks scratching thier heads...especially since I have no over head wiring! :)
Neat item Chris.
Ralph

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
lol, i havent scanned it yet but i found something made by one of the traction companies that looks suspicously familiar to me - a coach i kitbashed months before i had even brought the book and seen the picture!