Someone else stealing and selling free models

angevine

Sep 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Just found this because of a post by Paper-Replika.com on facebook.

removed link, don't want to give them any traffic it, "it really hacks me too"...zathros

This really hacks me of that people still steal other peoples work and sell it when in fact its a free model.

No wonder so many of our great and tallented designers stop designing and giving their models away for free.

Even Julius has stated that his models have appeared on there and should be free!

Arrgh, Paper-Rage!!!

Wojtee

Jun 8, 2008
Prague, CZ
I saw that today, too. Interesting thing, he is selling the Czech Dakar Rally Tatra, which is a commercial model and I dare to doubt he is selling original :(

On the other hand - is it legal / ethical / whatever to have a free model printed in professional copy shop? Because this way they are making profit from the free model, too (and considering P-R models, not a small one :)). I do not think this is the case (why would I have a model printed in China?), but it got me wondering a little :)

Only solution - ignore, make no business with him and he will drop it, eventually.

goodduck

Jul 25, 2010
Wow! LOL! Well..... LOL ....... I just have to say....LOL.... well.... if you give something away, a model to someone for free, and that person happily take it....... LOL....... that model is his now, he surely can sell it, put on ebay or wherever. LOL! (tummy hurt from laughing) Holy cow! ..... that's all available for sell? More free models over there! got them.... LOL ......and sell them too ....LOL! .....help...... I can't stop laughing.........

codex34

Jan 12, 2011
No Allen, just because someone gives something away for free, it doesn't mean you have any right to give it away for free yourself, never mind sell it.
It's called intellectual copyright.
It's like me going on your site, stealing all your pictures and saying they are mine and that anyone can do whatever they want with them, including selling them without giving you any credit or commission.

But saying that alot of 'paper modelers' these days take 3D game models or other 3D sources and unfold them without any effort or permission, so it's swings and roundabouts IMO.

These sites make it very difficult to report abuse don't they!
Almost like they don't really care.

goodduck

Jul 25, 2010
Of course, intellectual copyright, who would dare violate that. People that will take someone else stuff and sell them will not spent on sec thinking about intellectual rights. I seeing so much stealing and people bitching about it, now I'm at the point of can't cry anymore but laughing about.

But really, who truly own the intellectual copyrights? Just asking something looks like no one really want to ask ( long as we keep getting them free, don't rock the boat, right? ) who really own the rights here? If we "REALLY" want to crack down on piracy. We must first demand all designers must first get permissions from the original intellectual copyrights owners, the film makers, auto, aircraft, ship manufactures to reproduce their products in model form. If not, you steal from me, he steal from you, and so the wheel turn............ LOL.

codex34

Jan 12, 2011
Exactly Allen.
After visiting the papakura gallery, I was shocked to find .pdo format game models, that's directly distributing 3D game data under the guise of 'fanart', it's just as bad as zipping the 3D model and redistributing it, the .pdo format isn't even encrypted.

It's a pity these communities don't defend the 3D copyright owners to the same degree and class models directly derived from others works as pirate models.
Even if they do give credit to a 3D artist after unfolding their model it's still piracy, a net isn't a >15% change.

chapsy

Resident Brony
Dec 9, 2008
Dover, DE
I'm friends with Julius Perdana of Paper-Replika.com, and I see people stealing his stuff and selling it all the time.
It really miffs me, as he's a really nice guy and only charges money for his commercial designs. 90% of his stuff is free, and it's always the stuff that gets sold.
The nerve of some people...

Z

Zathros

I think the "Dude in Wonderland" that's selling all those models may in fact be targeting Mainland China which has really clamped down on internet freedom. This would give him a really huge market, all to himself, CHINA! I was in contact with "Joy" from Canon Papercraft, and they say they are basically helpless in the matter!

OhioMike

Apr 16, 2007
Ohio
The bottom line is that with the world we live in and the DEMAND...the internet remain free of censureship and goverment control.......Something that is surely ebbing away as we speak. The loss of control of anything you put on the internet is inevitable. One of the reasons they say, dont write an e-mail unless you dont mind everybody reading it! The only defense is CONSTANT vigilance. Stopping a sale on ebay is easy...stopping a sale from china/hong kong with the server there as well, not so easy! Ultimately, without intending to insult anyone, once you give it away free.....you give it completely away for free! Not that i agree, its just a reality we have to live with i guess! The harsh truth...dont ever give it away for free, charge something! That just reinforces your copyright by doing so!

Millenniumfalsehood

Mar 17, 2007
Ark City, Kansas
It is a harsh reality, and the only way to combat it is to ask like-minded individuals to boycott the site. I knkow, it seems pretty impotent, but if you feel that way (and I do), it's the only weapon you have.