somebody's masterpiece or graffiti

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Saw this hopper on a siding, did a little trespassing to get this picture. Who has the time and money to do this? They had to have used a ladder and a compressor to do this.

Attachments

• mvc-001s.jpg
    mvc-001s.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 270
Oct 14, 2003
Lisboa, Portugal
You would be amazed with things like this that somebody makes here in Portugal. Sometimes even two floors passenger commuter trains get so painted they don't even see the windows...

jawatkins

Aug 21, 2003
Allen, TX
Visit site
I'm not sure if they used a compressor, but I have heard that these individuals who can "customize" these cars can work wonders with spray paint. Too bad that the talent that these kids have can't be channeled in a more positive direction.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Saw a picture a couple of years ago of a tank car that someone "tagged" with an enviroment theme. What got me was that the tagger incorparated the reporting marks into the painting.
Another thing that got me was that it looked professionaly done and took more than one night to do....

Wasted talent......

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Even cooler... On an eastbound near Bascom, Ohio on February 28, 2003. I've seen some even more complicated than this spanning multiple cars. N80, 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Zoom-Nikkor, Sensia 100.

Attachments

• ettx820048bascomoh2-28-04web.jpg
    ettx820048bascomoh2-28-04web.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 221

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Some of the work seen on frieght cars is amazing..but, I'm sorry, its vandalism. Get a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts and do a wall mural. Ricardo, your description of the passenger trains you see reminds me of what New York City subway cars used to look like in the '70s. Again, amazing art but the tagger didn't own the canvass.
Ralph

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
I agree with Judy and Ralph...It would be neat to see what some of these folks could do if they were to put their effort to some sort of positive end.

I'm afraid that it is still vandalism, and I, for one, would prefer not to see this sort of thing during the course of my travels.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
In communities where blank walls have been "opened" to graphiti artists, there has been some really superb art created and preserved. The programs have also supported and encouraged the artists to develope their talents, and resulted in getting them "off the streets". It's always amazing what good comes from positive support, and what ill comes from legislation.
Pete

-new laws only make new criminals-

There's more to tagging railroad cars than just tagging them. Taggers from one side of the country can recognize another tagger's work and they 'send' messages and designs to each other via moble canvases....railroad cars. One tagger in Chicago may recognize work from another tagger living around LA. For these artists, private property and trespassing is something that may be of concern to people like you and I, but has no meaning in their world. Walls, subway car sides, freight cars, etc. are simply accessable large-scale empty spaces to write, doodle, and paint on. It's a form of in-your-face artistic expression that purposly defies legal restrictions placed on the artists by the 'establishment'. This has also created a whole range of coating products designed to be incompatable with common graffiti materials, a couple of which I've had to look into for clients. It's a fact of urban life that I have problems accepting myself.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
It's GRAFFITI!!!

Make no mistake about that.

As with other posts regarding the defacing of private property- It's abhorrent in my opinion.

It's not kewl~~~~~~~. Would one argue that those who are victims of "tagging" should be able to de-face the artist as much as the "artist" de-faces private property???

I'd have de-facing de-facers legalized.

Civil Statute 2004.4.1 De-facing de-facers.
The de-facing of de-facers will be prosecuted promptly (preferably at the time they are defacing) and without regard to whether someone thought it was kewl or not.

2004.4.1a The face that was de-faced from the de-facer shall be prominently displayed on the victim('s) property for all to see that if they choose to de-face (said) private property- they too will be de-faced. *It shall hang there until it shrivels in the sun and falls away as it decays.

Where was it that the hung outlaws- to rot in the sun on crosses, even for minor mis-deeds? Uh, hmmmm- What's that new movie- er, uh-...

Just my humble opinion as a human being who doesn't need to "understand" anyone else's struggle against the oppresion of being alive and free and no need to destroy private property (although I've done it myself- try and prove it- and I'll deny it all, plus I'll prove your witness is a bigger moron than I ever was).

Anonymously,

Mark
(P.S. I have commented previously on my opinions about graffiti- I can't help myself and will not. I worked where a woman was raped and murdered in a freight yard where dirty deeds are recorded on freight cars everyday for all to see.) OK- I'm done.
(*)The reason for the "edited" note.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Got it that time Joe! :) The thing about grafitti is that its a real world thing that I plan to include in my model world...but if I ever caught my HO people with spray cans they'd be doing community service and paying a fine. :D
Ralph

PennRailRoads

Apr 4, 2002
Pennsylvania
Usually graffiti on trains and everything else could indicate that it passed or stopped at a depressed area around a city or town. Or somebody just decided to paint something like a signature or whatever else came to mind. I do agree it's vandalism but who's going to stop things from being vandalized? It's a shame such talent goes to waste.