Somebody Help me!!!!

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
Hi All :wave:

I was just wondering if anybody has tips for making Model Railway videos. I will be using a normal camcorder, but want acceptible results.

Thanks in advance....

chessie4155

Mar 17, 2006
Vincennes, Ind.
www.geocities.com
Have plenty of good lighting, the layout or what your shooting should be well light. If at all possible get the camera down to track level, from a LPP railfans point of view... Good Luck ..Post some vids when you can.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Get a good tripod with a fluid pan head. Otherwise just get a tripod. But don't try too many pan shots. Pick a good angle, and let the train roll by.

Do your editing in-camera. Let the tape roll a few seconds before and after each shot so that you have room to edit when you go to put the final tape together.

And, as mentioned, lots of lighting. Since the camera will automatically white-balance, temperature (colour) doesn't really matter. What works best for me are the cheap steel reflector work lights with a clamp like this:
brandsonsale-store_1944_300167951

If you want to get really fussy about it, you should have at least 3 lamps lighting the scene. 1 to each side, and one that lights from behind.
3plottxt.gif

chessie4155

Mar 17, 2006
Vincennes, Ind.
www.geocities.com
Squidbait : I use the same thing for lighting.
I use 2 of them .They work great, can be placed just about anywhere you need them. I changed the bulbs from incandescent to those new fancy florescent bulbs. For me it works a lot better, the color is better and its better lighting, brighter I guess you could say. If you can't use three lights try a reflector to brighten up the darker areas. White card board or some aluminum foil crumpled up and glued to a piece of card board works well. This reflector works great for taking pics too.
I try to place the camera on the layout but use a tripod sometimes. WalMart has a neat carrying case for around 10 bucks, its for digital cameras and comes with one of those little wire type tripods, it works real well too. As for the editing, I use Windows Movie Maker. You can add other sounds, splice your movies , just all kinds of neat things you can do. If you can Edit in camera then go for it. My lil elcheapo camera doesn't have that. Note to Self, Self ,gotta get a better camera. :D
Mark

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
Thanks Squidbait and chessie4155 for your input. I do plan on useing
Windows Movie Maker and I already have an ending and begining. I want to contact PopTop software to see if we can come to some sort of agreement on using music from their computer game Railroad Tycoon III. I begin shooting on Monday, my first video will be on the LMR (Louis' Model Railway)- a friend of mine who models the S.A.R. (South African Railways)/Spoornet.

Features will include a working mine loader (Birdseed is the block load), working rotary tipler, a reverser section up the mountain and electric locos that work off the catinary.

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
I will let you guys know how it goes. Also, I'm going to lend a "lip stick" camera from another friend of mine. I'll mount it on a flatcar or something and push it around so that we can get a drivers eye view of everything.