Some Steam locamotive pics

N

nachoman

I like the 0-8-0. I saw a GP35 doing some switching today, and thought that some many years ago, that would have been a 0-8-0. for some reason I consider the 0-8-0 and the 4-4-2 atalntic as my favorite steamers. I think they symbolize quite a bit - 0-8-0s were around when railroads in the US were at their greatest extent and there was much switching to be done. The 4-4-2 was a wheel arrangement that was not around for very long, but it was a bit of a breakthrough in that it was the first with a true trailing truck. It paved the way for the 4-6-2 and the 2-8-2. I wish there were more 4-4-2s available in HO.

kevin

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
gruggier, are you a fan of the type or just the NYC Js?

There's actually several outstanding hudsons left.

My favorites...of which one survives...are/were the NKP's hudsons. I prefer their appearance to that of the NYCs...which was rather similar due to the Van Swerigans ownership of both railroads a few years earlier. The NKP's were the first production run of hudsons...on the floor of the erecting shop at Richmond when the 5200 was completed. Doyle McCormick, the chief man behind the SP Daylight, when asked if his PA-1 will be his last project, he stated that he'd love to work on the surviving NKP hudson. Also, Jerry Jacobson, whom owns the Ohio Central, offered to restore a steam locomotive at St Louis just for a lease on the NKP 170...I have a link to it in my sig.

There's also a Santa Fe Super Hudson...it had 84" drivers...it's as large as a small 4-8-4, and really lives up to the billing as a super hudson.

There's also several Burlington hudsons and an older santa fe hudson. One of the Burlington hudsons was purchased by the Illinios RR museum in operational condition.

The C&O 490 in Baltimore is streamlined and it's the most powerful surviving hudson...49,000lb of tractive effort. It was rebuild from a pacific...but it is pretty much a new engine.

Then there are several surving Canadian hudsons...some rather nice engines.

Here are some notable deceased hudsons to look up:
C&O L-2 class hudsons. They were absolute monsters. When built, they already had an L-1 shop goat, so they designated them L-2s...by the time the streamlined hudson rebuilds took place...the L-1 shop goat was gone, so the L-1 designation was applied to the knew hudsons.

The Santa Fe's streamlined Blue Goose.

The Milwaukee Road's F-7s. These engines were the definition of fast passenger power. They also bore a beautiful streamling. They followed up on what were probably the last 4-4-2s ever built...No 1, 2, 3, & 4...which were built in the mid-'30s specifically for the Hiawatha...they were really pacifics that had the middle driver removed to make room for larger drivers

EDIT: Nachoman, I don't know how familiar you are with them, but Bowser makes a Pensy 4-4-2, MDC makes a 4-4-2 that is a decent AT&SF engine, and Mantua also offers an atlantic.

gruggier

Nov 28, 2006
Deer Park NY
NKP174

Hi! Happy Holidays, and Merry Christmas to you Sir! I am new at this, but I always loved trains. I just could never afford one and my Father was never intrested in this sort of stuff. It was always school, school, school. So I had forgotten about all this stuff until I came apon this forum to sell some HO cars. Started doing resreach and about $3k later I am hooked.

I purchased a RailKing 1 Gauge NYC hudson from train world and started doing research. So I have learned alot about it. I also saw some other GREAT pics of other steam locos, from that webpage also! I love the old time steam stuff... Just some massive beasts.

From what I gather the Hudson was a very powerful locomotive, and loved by very many engineers.

So if you have some history you want to teach me or other websites please.... I am listening.

Thank you!

Guy.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Wow.... Some great stuff on that site. I could spend hours reading. :thumb:

Paintshop Pro is pretty cool too. ;)

Attachments

• NYCHudson.jpg
    NYCHudson.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 114
  • NYCHudson2.jpg
    NYCHudson2.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 115

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Ralph said:
It has a Warhol-like quality. Really that classic styled loco would lend itself to a variety of artisitic treatments.
Nah.... This would be more Warhol's stlye.
:D

Attachments

• WarholTrain.jpg
    WarholTrain.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 87

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Gruggier, you're off to a nice start if you have an NYC hudson to run. My NYC streamlined hudson was my favorite passenger engine until I bought my NKP one.

Here's a little background on what the lead and rear trucks are for...

The lead truck generally gives a locomotive better riding characteristics and helps reduce the wear on the lead drivers. As a rule of thumb...the first to axles will wear much more than the remaining. Both of these traits really matter on an express locomotive. For this reason, 4 wheel lead trucks were very common on passenger locomotives and 2 wheel lead trucks were common on the slower freight engines of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

The rear truck supports the firebox. On locomotives without rear trucks, the firebox was supported by the rear drivers...and a smaller firebox had to be used...one that fit inbetween the drivers limiting it to less than 56.5" for standard gauge locomotives. The addition of a single axle after the drivers allowed for the firebox to be large enough to sustain either high speeds with light trains, or moderate speeds with moderate weight trains. Despite the improvement, such a locomotive's cylinders could still use more steam than the boiler/firebox could produce. The Lima Locomotive Works worked together with the NYC to improve the efficiency of the popular mikado design, and many alterations were made to boilers...but...the firebox was still too small...and enlarging it was difficult due to a variety of design problems with incorporating a 4-wheel trailing truck. Lima did succeed in solving these problems and introduced the first 2-8-4...the A-1, and it annihilated one of the best mikados in a head to head competition...the A-1 was the first engine that could produce more steam than it could use. It also was more efficient with the fuel it used.

The hudson was the passenger version of the A-1. It combined the efficiency
and steaming capacity of the A-1 with the smooth ride of a pacific.

As a footnote, the single biggest flaw in the A-1 design was that Lima chose to equip it with the 63" drivers that were the standard for mikados of the era. At they equiped it with 69" drivers, it would have not only killed the mikado in the berkshire mountains, but it also would have soundly defeated the Mohawks (4-8-2s) on the waterlevel route. These design traits were first incorporated into the Erie Berks (70" drivers, longer piston stroke), and then the C&O T-1 2-10-4 (69" drivers). The C&O T-1s were the design basis for the NKP 2-8-4s and the C&O 2-6-6-6s. The NKP 2-8-4s were copied by the C&O, Pere Marquette, Richmond Fredricksburg, & Potomac, and the Virginian. The C&O 2-10-4s were copied by the Pensy. The Virginian also copied the 2-6-6-6s. (think of the 2-6-6-6s as 2-12-6s, 20% larger than the 2-10-4s...and the berks as 20% smaller)