Some rare engines...

McFortner

I've been seeing a few interesting engines around the Norfolk Southern Training Center in McDonough, GA this year. I often don't have my camera with me when I get off of work in the morning, so I havn't been able to photograph them since their presence on the siding is not frequent enough to warrant dragging the camera with me every day. But when I see one, I try to remember the camera the next day.

Here are a few of the engines that are getting rare on main lines.... :rolleyes:

The first is a SOU SD40-2 high hood.

Attachments

• SOU 3271 - SD40-2.jpg
    SOU 3271 - SD40-2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 235

McFortner

These next two were not there long, and the sun was too far south for a better picture, so please bear with them. The one on the left is a SOU GP38 high hood and the one on the left is a SOU GP38-2 high hood.

Not too many high hoods left running on NS, at least in this neck of the woods! :)

Hope you liked the pictures.

Michael

Attachments

• SOU Twins.jpg
    SOU Twins.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 228
  • SOU 2869 GP-38.jpg
    SOU 2869 GP-38.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 225
  • SOU 5205 GP-38-2.jpg
    SOU 5205 GP-38-2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 217
F

Fred_M

McFortner said:
Unlike Southern, NS prefers short hood forward! ;)
Great pics, but wasn't it the N&W that liked the high hood units and weren't they where the NS got most, if not all, the high hood units? I remeber N7W always ran high hood units by my house when I lived 30 foot from their mains in Indiana. They would stop in my back yard when they switched out an ADM plant. Made my house windows rattle when they throttled up. You could feel it in your bones. I will alway remember that feeling of awsome power. Fred

McFortner

dash10 said:
Great pics, but wasn't it the N&W that liked the high hood units and weren't they where the NS got most, if not all, the high hood units? I remeber N7W always ran high hood units by my house when I lived 30 foot from their mains in Indiana. They would stop in my back yard when they switched out an ADM plant. Made my house windows rattle when they throttled up. You could feel it in your bones. I will alway remember that feeling of awsome power. Fred

Well, what I was thinking of was the fact that Southern ran then engines with the cab at the back, so there was more between any obstacles on the tracks and the crew. I just wonder if any other RR did that as well?

Michael

McFortner

dash10 said:

Well, Southern ran almost nothing but high hoods when it came to diesels in the early years. Most of their engines were high hoods until the merger. I guess manufacturers just got tired of making them for just a few roads.

Michael

F

Fred_M

Oh, you ment long hood forward. Sorry, I misunderstood. Sorry. Fred

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Originally Posted By McFortner
Well, what I was thinking of was the fact that Southern ran then engines with the cab at the back, so there was more between any obstacles on the tracks and the crew. I just wonder if any other RR did that as well?

The Pennsylvania ran theirs with the cab at the back as well.

brakie

McFortner said:
Unlike Southern, NS prefers short hood forward! ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael,The N&W also ran their locos long hood forward.The NS still the older units long hood forward such as the Sd40s,GP38s,40s and other high hood units including GEs and I dare say they are not shy about running a short hood unit long hood forward including wide cabs.

Hoghead

brakie said:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael,The N&W also ran their locos long hood forward.The NS still the older units long hood forward such as the Sd40s,GP38s,40s and other high hood units including GEs and I dare say they are not shy about running a short hood unit long hood forward including wide cabs.
The NS has some pretty non standard cab configurations. I have run a couple of their engines in the past. The ones set up for longhood forward have the control stands on what would be the conductors side if the "F" was on the shorthood.

Another strange one was a -9 widebody. All of the other railroads have a desk top control stand with the computer screens side by side. On the NS it is the standard AAR control stand found on older locomotives with the computer screens mounted high up on the control stand.

Then there is the EOT's The NS has dual mode head end boxes for the EOT's.
There is a setting for NS EOT's and AAR EOT's.