Some projects over New Years...

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
With sermon prep occupying more of my time, I simply don't have the time to put together How-Tos anymore but I thought there might be some interest in my holiday projects.

I mounted Kadees on two Tyco tankers that just had to be upgraded for operational and sentimental reasons. They featured Talgo style six wheel trucks that were sweet looking, whether they were prototypical I couldn't say. With the Talgo mount, Tyco did not provide for an end beam and truck mounted couplers are out of the question so I came up with a compromise. I removed 3/16" from the bolsters of each car and made ersatz end platforms for them out of styrene sheet. While not airy like real tankers, they have proved sturdy and, once painted, hardly noticeable. A .030" styrene shim put the couplers at just the right height. I put new cast metal bolsters on from the scrap box with a pair of Central Valley trucks, also from the scrap box. I then formed safety rails from brass wire, soldering the joints and mounting them from platform to platform. They simply await paint and a couple HAZMAT placards to finish them up.

The flat was a simple clip/screw and go conversion for the couplers with Atlas wheelsets being placed in the Tyco trucks. The load was the fun project and was wrapped up just about when Boise crossed the goal line with that sweet trick in overtime to beat the Sooners.:thumb: It's two toy truck shocks painted oxide primer red to look like one serious load. I crated a pair in scrap stripwood and finished it off with fastener detail made with a very sharp pencil. It awaits proper chaining to the flat to finish what I thought was a fairly different flatcar load. I was going to make two but figured one was enough, guess I'll find a factory model that "manufactures" these puppies now.

flatloads.jpg

flatloadsa.jpg

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Neat stuff! I enjoy seeing these older/low end cars being modified and kept in service. I will be going to a mrr swap meet this weekend, hopefully I will pick up some interesting items. Thanks for sharing them.

And I must say, that BSU/OU finish was the most spectacular ending to a football game I have ever seen. Amazing!

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Gary S. said:
Neat stuff! I enjoy seeing these older/low end cars being modified and kept in service. I will be going to a mrr swap meet this weekend, hopefully I will pick up some interesting items. Thanks for sharing them.

And I must say, that BSU/OU finish was the most spectacular ending to a football game I have ever seen. Amazing!

Thanks, I'm still looking for the Coke one they had:thumb:

As for the game, even if my LSU Tigers get pasted to the wall, I'll not care...what a beaut that BSU finish was....

Santa Fe Jack

Jul 20, 2006
Lost Almost, New Mexico
shaygetz said:
I mounted Kadees on two Tyco tankers that just had to be upgraded for operational and sentimental reasons.
Well, that's cool. I have one of these tank cars, painted in blue for Magnolia, and I've been wondering how to go about fixing the truck-mounted coupler problem. This certainly seems to work. Good idea! :thumb: I'll try that, and will try to keep the six-wheel trucks at the same time.