Some Progress Photos

TexDoc

Aug 20, 2006
Corpus Christi, TX
I took a few more pics this morning of the latest progress. Some scenery and details added. Landscaping, groundcover and ....
Doc

Attachments

• 12-7a1a.jpg
    12-7a1a.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 12-7d1a.jpg
    12-7d1a.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 12-7f1a.jpg
    12-7f1a.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 12-7g1a.jpg
    12-7g1a.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 63

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Nice photos Doc! I like your scenary and that tree covered hill background in the second pic. The petro industry looks great with all those pipes and tanks!
Ralph

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Very nice work TexDoc. Each element fits nicely into the whole layout.
The refinery is impressive and very "credible".
Would you be please be kind enough to post one overview pic of your layout ?
I noticed that your town includes a few Design Preservation Models. I purchased the "Roadkill cafe" but don't know how to paint i because every wall is molded in 1 piece ( the windows are not separate items for example ).
Did you use an airbrush ?
If yes, did you paint the wholw building with a brick color, then masks the bricks and airbrushed the rest ?
Could you please expand about your painting technique for the DPM buildings.

P.S. One close-up pic of the roadkill cafe wouldn't hurt :)

Keep up the good work, thanks for sharing the pics.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Whoa...back that train up! I just realized that you're doing Nscale - is that right? Ok...time to fess up...how did you get those DPM (is that the correct maker?) looking that good? I have built four DPM kits and due to my own limited building abilities, they turned out ok but not great. And painting all the window frames was a chore. Where did you pick up the roof details?

TexDoc

Aug 20, 2006
Corpus Christi, TX
DPM buildings and pipes

I am the first to agree that painting the DPM buildings is a giant pain. I airbrushed the individual pieces first. Colors vary. Depot Buff, some red (don't remember which) and a mix of trim colors. It is hard to remember since these are 10 year old projects, or older. In fact I had them stored for 7 years when I lived in Mesa, AZ with no room for a layout. The left end is the original "Main Street" which was the forerunner to DPM style buildings. Not the cheap plastic Walthers "II" version. It is four store fronts in one piece. It was the first building of this type I assembled. After painting the entire bldg. or in the case of the Main Street which was masked and painted different colors for each front, I masked the walls and painted the trim, frames, ect with a very fine tipped brush. Some touch up on the walls was necessary at times. I have black construction paper attached inside covering all the windows since the town is away from the edge of the layout. The roof details as an assortment. Most, especially the AC units, are Cal Freight (i actually got a few new pieces a couple of weeks ago thanks to Neal at Neal's N-Gauging Trains.
I would post a close-up of the Roadkill Cafe, but I forget which one it is? I'll look it up on the net and follow up.
As for the "n" pipes. I would love to take credit for them, but they came in a Green Max kit I bought some years age (2 kits in fact) it included the building which is also in other Green Max kits with different fronts. I don't know if these kits are still available, but they had pipes, tanks, supports, roof top details, various odd parts for details, ect. I bought two of these kits probably in the early 90's. Neal may be a source for these if they are available? They make a neat bus station and airport which the main buildings can be modified for several projects.
I am planning to have pipes over the tracks to connect to tanks on the other side. I am using some of the Walthers refinery parts on that side, maybe? We'll see how it fits. It is freelance afterall.
I would love to have the space for a more realistic refinery, but living in Corpus Christi and seeing several every day it would be a huge undertaking that could take years for someone who is all thumbs like me.
Thanks for the positive feedback. I look at my efforts and then at so many others pictured here and other sites and don't think much of what I have done.
Doc

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
TexDoc, thanks for the detailed information about painting the DPM buildings.
No need to post a pic of the roadkill cafe, I found a detailed one in an MR issue ( I thing it's may 2006 issue ). The article is about detailing some DPM buildings, including the cafe.

TexDoc ,
I look at my efforts and then at so many others pictured here and other sites and don't think much of what I have done.

I'd like to say Bull Ship !!! Your work is just great and keep it up. Every N Scale industry has to have some sacrifice because nothing in the real world scales down exactly correct. We also have space issues in railroading. :thumb:

Mike

Peter Sardagna

Nov 18, 2006
TexDoc said:
I look at my efforts and then at so many others pictured here and other sites and don't think much of what I have done.
Doc

TexDoc, that is exactly how I feel about my work! When I am "done" with a scene, I usually feel good about it and am satisfied that I could not do better. Then, I see someone else's work, and I am blown away... and inspired! Or, a friend comments about something that looks out of whack.

It is for this reason that I have already redone portions of my layout 4-5 times. Each time, I am as excited about "how much better it's gonna be" as I was whet I built my first train set (out of clay with wire coupler)s.

It is for this reason that I welcome all criticism -- it helps opens my eyes to things I otherwise may not notice, and hopefully, leads me to improve my skills.

Peter