Some pics of my P-47 pages

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by John Griffin, Aug 29, 2006.

1. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Hi all. I have finally converted my 'legal' sized P-47 to A4/letter, at 1/24 scale (it had been 1/20). I am still sorting out a few minor details (improved interior and landing gear, fixing the zinc chromate hue on inner parts, etc.) and I also need to do another test-build to verify fit, since I cleaned up/simplified the engine cowling lip area.
    I hope anyone who views the images will be able tell... but in case it didn't work; it was my intent to make the model look 'silver' (natural metal)... but without using silvered paper. I put quite a bit of effort into painting on a 'fake' metal surface. I may still try to adjust the wings (they look greenish to me, but I will have to print them first to see for sure).
    It comes with a payload of two bombs and a centreline fuel tank (still having difficulties with the tank).
    There will also be an OD version after this one is out of my hair.

I put the pages up on Image Shack... I may be putting up the wrong links or URLs or whatever they are... I'm a modeler, not an 'interweb-thing' type guy so it's all I can do to follow a thread in the forum. They aren't all the same scale (I reduced them t oget tehm within BW restrictions).
    Here goes: Try these:

I got the links to work faster by copying/pasting the urls above into a browser window... but they will also connect if you click above...

Take a look!

Regards, John.

P.S. ...I never want to see another Tempest again and I am fast approaching that point with the P-47!
  2. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

The 'silverizing' looks great! I built a PMI P-47 razorback a while back, but I'm looking forward to building one of yours.
  3. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Thank you

Thanks! Also, a question for anyone who might have an answer...
    I modeled the silver version after 'Torrid Tessie'... part of the 350th FG, 346th FS (in Italy). I found data indicating that the chequers on the rudder as yellow/black, but also as white/black. I did mine yellow/black because it looks nice, but I am not certain which is correct.
    Does anyone know?
  4. damraska

damraska Member

I think the bare metal finish on your model looks very, very good. A lot of models with bare metal surfaces look monotone, whereas you used different hues to break up the surfaces. The finish looks very realistic, and I'd love to know how you did it!

5. angevine

angevine Member

6. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

346th FS colours

Well, it looks like the black/white is probably correct, dang it. I really think yellow looks better!

I guess I'll have to change it at some point.

7. barry

barry Active Member

That's real talent !!!!!
  8. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Well thanks. It sounds like the fake silver works. Of course, after looking at the awesome images Angevine linked to, I am reminded that I need to add the little 'warnings' and other labels all over the aircraft. Too bad we can't use vectors in JPGs, so they would stay nice and crisp
  9. jyduchene

jyduchene Member

John, Your detail in texture is outstanding. I marvel at the fittings on the wing. The most convencing silver I have seen short of silver paper. Looking forward to a build. John
  10. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

The textures are amazing! You should be really proud of them.
    The black and white may be right, but the black and yellow sure looks sharp!
    Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see this as a finished build.
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hot Diggity Dog!

I knew it would be worth the wait!

Ok John...........whats the next plane you are going to get tired of looking at........hmmmm?

Yeah......... I know........... I'm a troublemaker........... and yes I've been called everything you can think of........ especially the one you are thing of right now!:grin:
  12. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

The 'next' one is my Sopwith Camel (see my gallery pics). The work here is due to the fact it was also not designed to an official scale (1:33 or 1:24)... you see I am still recovering from that rookie mistake- I initially just wanted to do all my planes BIG. My first three models were all the wrong scale and basically I had to resize the parts after the fact.
    The Camel I built had about a 36" span, but I've gotten all the parts down to A4 layout at 1:24 scale now (14" span I think- WWI planes were small). I am adding better surface detail to make it more realistic. Ther is alot of work to do there, as the model was only supposed to be for RC or control line (never got that part done) and it needs alot of little parts and things added.
    I do like 1/24 scale the best now I think.

After that- a break, and then maybe that M48 tank.
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That is indeed the best I have seen too! Do you have the original up somewhere so we can see the difference? Sorry I am not familiar with it, too new I reckon :D
  14. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

What a fabulous looking bit of artwork you have done on the samples posted. Definitley the most realistic I have seen on a paper model yet. I got to get this one! When and where can I get this model when you are finished.
  15. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Sorry don't mean to sound negative, but how well will them parts actually print, they look fantastic, a big well done for you work, but I am worried that on an inkjet they will come out greyish.
  16. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Here you can see Tempest Mk V being built by Rene Pinos

Adding clear coat of semi gloss varnish will certainly enhance look of the model.
  17. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

GT5500, I printed one out and assembled it most of the way last year(pics in my gallery I believe)... it was the earlier version of 'silver'. It looks pretty good but I think this revision will be much better.
    To answer 'Bluenoser'; if all goes smoothly the P-47 should be available in a silver and an OD version in a few weeks from Gremir.

The original build and some of the original 'pages' are in my gallery. I think the new effort has alot more zing to it, or whatever you want ot call it. I also learned the hard way (from Michael Krol (Shoki)) that I need to model the paint scheme on an 'actual' real aircraft... not just make up one that I would like to see. So the model is no longer H5*F 'Bigg Juggz', but 603 'Torrid Tessie'. I haven't chosen one for the OD scheme yet.
  18. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Taking suggestions for OD scheme. I am leaning towards one of the many chequered-nose paint jobs. Tricky but nice looking.
  19. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

20. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member