Some pics of my layout

johnny b

Agian I must say , Fantastic job! That river seen looks incredible. I have a much smaller creek running down the middle of my layout and I hope it looks half that good . Where do you get all those vehicles and other great accessories ? Your small trees and brush look great too , How did you do that ? Keep it up and maybe come do the work on my trees for me ;)

Herc Driver

I've got to say again how good looking that layout is. The yard looks great, the water is real (don't try to convice me otherwise). Even the spacing between fishermen is spot on.

Voice2

announce1Great pictures of a great layout!!

I've just begun my 3'rd layout (1st in 'N'), and these kinds of pictures push me to keep going and get to the level that you and some others here are at. If mine looks 1/2 as good as yours someday I'll be very pleased.

Reasons why it's good.

Here's a few reasons why I like your layout...

1. Every track is there for a reason.
2. Industry switching is off of a siding/runaround, and not fouling the mainline.
3. Can't see staging from front view, which gives the layout a sense of outside world.
4. Terrain changes, can't tell that its on plywood.
5. Details, details, details.
6. Roads are built on angles for more depth.
7. No overcrowded industries=realistic switching.

That's a few reasons why this is a great layout that new modelers should study and learn from.

Great Job!

jkinosh

I love your layout. I am actually planning on doing the same trackplan for my first real layout. I have a question though. I was wondering who make the two industry kits that you used. I circled them in the attached photo.

Thanks,

Jacob

Attachments

• layout.jpg
    layout.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 706

KATY

I've been out of town for a few days so missed these latest replies. Thanks to all for the generous comments. Sure makes good fodder for my wife to read. "See honey, maybe the next one will be even better!"

Don't consider myself in the same league with much of the work I see on the Gauge, but it's fun to try. Once you get so involved with one of these things whether large or small, it's hard to keep a perspective of how good or bad you're doing. Again, the trackwork is not my design, but that of Marty McGuirk (sp), with a few changes of my own. Even though it is a small layout, it is giving me a lot of satifaction.

The water was just the good old Woodland Scenics liquid water. I painted the door a flat black and just poured the water on. First I had ever done. Didn't try to "feather" the edges since art work is certainly not my specialty. However, I did try hard to make the shoreline look as real as I could.

The industries are batched together kits from several manufacturers some of which I don't remember. The main elevator and mill are the old standby Walthers Cornerstone products. While this is N scale, the steel bins around the grain elevator are HO scale kits. The mill is a combination of several kits. The oil storage tanks are HO scale also and the silos on the end are Heljan if I recall.

Again thanks to all who've taken the time to look at my layout and make comments on it. It is much appreciated.

Katy
(Jack)

Will_annand

KATY said:
Don't consider myself in the same league with much of the work I see on the Gauge

What do you mean, Jack???

The only diference I see is that others tend to "Weather" their railroads, dirty up the place so it looks lived in.

Throw a little debris on the ground, or weeds on the side of the pavement, or vines on the buildings and you will have a world class layout there my friend. :thumb: .

KATY

The water ripples were certainly not intentional it just sort of came out that way. I did pour it fairly slowly not knowing how the stuff would really set up.

Big Mark

The layout really does look first class, I shall be using it as a referance as I build my first layout, plenty of inspiration on how things should look (water, trees etc)!