Some NS Action in Bucyrus

brakie

I thought I will share these photos..So far this year I have taken close to 224 photos..I will share some of 'em over the coming weeks.
This was a very busy day and I took around 14 photos.

009-4.jpg

010-2.jpg

002-8.jpg

006-9.jpg

013-3.jpg

Fluesheet

Thanks for sharing the photos Larry!

Although the mixed road consists are interesting, they're kind of befuddling from a marketing standpoint. The head end (and the tail, back in caboose days) were the one place you could "brand" the railroad, or at least the train. I understand some of this is from a efficiency standpoint - a train can be run through without switching power, but from a marketing standpoint it doesn't make sense.

Possibly there is so little competition within a given region nowadays there's less of a need put your brand on the train?

Sorry, off topic... :)

Matt

Russ Bellinis

Thanks for sharing the photos Larry!

Although the mixed road consists are interesting, they're kind of befuddling from a marketing standpoint. The head end (and the tail, back in caboose days) were the one place you could "brand" the railroad, or at least the train. I understand some of this is from a efficiency standpoint - a train can be run through without switching power, but from a marketing standpoint it doesn't make sense.

Possibly there is so little competition within a given region nowadays there's less of a need put your brand on the train?

Sorry, off topic... :)

Matt

Customers who ship by train are big enough that the railroad will have sales personel to call on them. The branding of a railroad by the locomotive colors or a caboose, or what ever is not necessary. The mixed colors on locomotive consists have nothing to do with running through without switching power. In fact, I don't think a railroad would do that. Rather the reason for the mix of power is that freight load sizes fluctuate seasonally, or mechanical problems may reduce the number of home road locomotives available. The railroads have found it much more economical to Lease power from a pool when they need more power, and reciprocate by donating power to the pool when they have excess power. It is much less expensive to do that than to buy enough locomotives to meet every possible contingency.

Triplex

The mixed colors on locomotive consists have nothing to do with running through without switching power. In fact, I don't think a railroad would do that.
Actually, that was common decades ago, as was power pooling on trains that ran on more than one road. I'm not sure how common it is now, considering there are fewer major railroads. Leasing is also there, of course, and has gone up greatly over the past few decades.

steamhead

Hey Larry....That's some awesome road power making its way through your railroading haven....Keep those pics comin'....:thumb:

BTW...How far/near do you live to this site..??

brakie

Hey Larry....That's some awesome road power making its way through your railroading haven....Keep those pics comin'....:thumb:

BTW...How far/near do you live to this site..??

Gus,Its about a mile from the house..Weather permitting that's my goal on my morning walks..I rest and railfan and then walk home..I also drive there and read railroad magazines while waiting on the next train and the average is one train every 20 minutes.I have seen as high as 4 trains in a hour but,they was running the same direction.

steamhead

Larry...You're getting the best of two worlds...a good healthy walk...AND...some gorgeous trains. What more does anyone need..???