some new HOn3 projects

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I haven't been exactly idle. I did get some HOn3 projects started, and made some progress. Finally was able to get downstairs, and actually carry some things up, so I could take some pictures.
The first is a new outside frame 2-8-2 built from an MDC 2-8-0 kit.

Attachments

• ng2-8-2.jpg
    ng2-8-2.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 401

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I decided to build a vanderbilt tender for this one. I started with the original kit tender, and an MDC "old time" tank car, and merged them into this.

Attachments

• vantender.jpg
    vantender.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 349

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I also used one of the "old time" tanks to build a new narrow gauge tank.

Attachments

• ngtank.jpg
    ngtank.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 345

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
The water tank is an Atlas kit, with the supporting legs shortened to the proper height for the narrow gauge loco. The coal tower is the Model Power "Bors coal tower". there are more changes, and detailing before it is ready for paint.

Attachments

• 2-8-2 diorama.jpg
    2-8-2 diorama.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 343
I love to see the work of creative, immaginative, capable craftsmanship. Gives me something to strive toward.

And your modeling meets all that in spades, Sumpter.

Although I realize the hobby seems to have moved away from craftsmanship toward "spend the money and get it up and running fast," for me, your kind of modeling is what model railroading is all about.

Bill S

ezdays

Out AZ way
Good lookin' stuff Pete. Sounds like you're on the mend. What's the status on your foot? Is the cast off yet? I hope so, been a long time.:)

Don

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Great work...!

I love the shot of the interior of the cab - lots and lots of fantastic detail. It's too bad it gets covered up... ;)

Andrew

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Don,
I've got one more week with the cast. The bone is healed, but the tendons and ligaments needed a little extra time. I am putting full weight on it now, so walking should be pretty quick after the cast comes off.
Bill,
I keep telling the hobby shop owners, when they have nothing but preassembled/read-to-run, and don't carry detail parts,and scratchbuilding materials, I won't be back.
Yes, I enjoy operating the trains, and visiting other layouts, but it's building that I enjoy the most.
Greg,
There's a lot more detail, and the loco has to have the electrical work(which will probably include sound) before painting, and weathering.
Andrew,
Yeah, it gets covered up.......but I know it's there.

Thanks everyone,
Pete

shamus

Registered Member
Oh Pete, that is beautiful work my friend. Just love that loco. The water tank looks great also.

Shamus

spitfire

WOW!

Originally posted by Matthyro
Fantastic modelling Pete. A joy to behold.

I second that! Fantastic detail work!!! Where did you get the brass bits on the backhead detail shot? Please don't tell me you made them yourself - LOL!!

cheers
Val

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL !!!

Pete, you build locos (and other models) like a pro. After all that work in brass on the backhead, there has got to be a way to allow the cab to be removed to show it off. Small magnet, maybe? The loco and tender especially belong in a contest. The tender is very photogenic, as well as being my favorite type. Care to do a tutorial on it? I, for one, would love to see it. Besides, I'd like to eventually build one for an HO Mikado. And, how about a straight-on photo looking directly at that backhead?

Thanks for sharing such inspirational work with us. --Stu--

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Val,
There are a variety of manufacturers of lost wax brass detail castings. Most of the details came from Precision Scale, and Cal Scale.

Grlakselogger,
At the moment, the loco is primed, and the paint still wet. As soon as I can, I'll post a shot of the backhead. I am a little rushed to get this one done as I would like to have it running in time for Trainfest, in Milwaukee, even if I have to run it unpowered, in a doublehead with a powered unit.
Pete