Some Dust & Cobwebs From The Closet

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
A couple of the guys on another thread asked for this...
They said if I would ply them with alcolhol, they would pay me with compliments!:p
This is an N scale layout that I attempted to build 6 or 7 years ago...
I was in the process of remodeling my house, I had 3 kids stuffed into one bedroom, a pregnant wife, very little in the way of time, space, or money...
All I could manage was a 24"x30" piece of plywood, with a loop of track, & 2 Atlas snap switches.
I was trying to do a turn-of-the-century waterfront kind of thing.
Almost all of the structures, & alot of the scenery have been removed, or been destroyed by having been stuffed in closets, & such...It was never really finished anyway...the "water" is just plywood, painted blue...:rolleyes:
Here's some pics pf what remains...

Attachments

• mvc-022f.jpg
    mvc-022f.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 102

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Here's another...the wharf is scratchbuilt out of styrene, the freighthouse is kitbashed from Model Power houses, & the thing on the right is an attempt to represent a vertical-lift bridge...

Attachments

• mvc-023f.jpg
    mvc-023f.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 101

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
...and here's one more of my scratchbuilt "trestle" :D

Attachments

• trestle.jpg
    trestle.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 100

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Charlie, they look very good seeing as they where locked away for so long, now I can see the wharf now and it looks very good.

Cheers Shamus

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks Shamus!
The wharf used to look a little better...it had a little gantry crane on it, & lots of freight & figures. (in fact, I just noticed that in the second picture, if you look in the lower left of the wharf, you can see 2 little white styrene footprints, where one of the little guys came up with the paint on his feet! :D )
btw...in case any of the nit-pickers have noticed, the flextrack "magically rises into the air", & connects with the wharf! :D

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by Charlie
btw...in case any of the nit-pickers have noticed, the flextrack "magically rises into the air", & connects with the wharf! :D

Never crossed my mind to mention it Charlie, anyway, if you stick a piece of card in there and re-photo it, who's going to be any nearer to the truth:rolleyes:

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Charlie,
We all had to start somewhere. You got off on the right foot. The trestle captures the charm and character of the place, and there's nothing wrong with plywood, painted blue, for water.
Pete

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Charlie, you've been just plain rotten to us holding out on posting these pics! There are members out here who have no space at all for a working layout and you could have (with these pics) shown them how a piece of plywood, a length of curved track and a wee bit of inginuity can make a very delightful diorama! :eek:
As it is you made a working layout in what must surely be the smallest space needed. Well done!
Pete has said all I was going to say about it... (so i guess I can't claim another beer :( )

Errol