Some advice sought for American Flyer

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by grumbeast, May 28, 2008.

1. grumbeast

grumbeast Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm back on the gauge after being out for ages (over a year I guess) but I now have a wonderful baby girl :). That said, I'm actually here for some advice.

I'm an N scale modeler but my late father-in-law left me his American Flyer collection. As it gave him so much pleasure in the last few years I'm keeping the collection intact for the most part but I have two large totes full of "stuff" (electrical stuff, spare parts, etc etc) as well as more track than I could ever use.

Ideally I would like to sell it and use the money to get a few pieces for the collection that I know he would have liked, but I would consider other options too.

So my question is, for all you flyer people out there, any idea where I might be able to sell this, or do you know of good causes that might appreciate it?

I'll try and get some photo's of the content of these totes.

2. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hi....You might try posting a few pieces on eBay and see how it goes...There's a lot of AF stuff being sold there. Check it out to get an idea of the prices of the stuff being sold there.
    Good luck..!!
  3. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

If it was donated to our site at the Guild I assure you, after doing an article and build. We will pay it forward (donate) to a worthy Canadian cause.
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Spare parts lots always do well on eBay. I assume you mean things like wheels, motor parts, loose trucks, and stuff like that?

With AF track, a lot depends. AF curves aren't worth a lot (most people have more than they need), but there is demand for straights. If the track is in good shape, you can probably get something for it. You can figure on the curves being worth anywhere from 25-50 cents per section. Straights are worth a dollar or two each.

When making parts lots, I recommend going to the post office and getting a flat-rate Priority Mail box. These boxes ship for one price, regardless of the weight of the contents. Determine the size of your lots by what fits in the box. Track can be expensive to ship, so there will be more interest if people know shipping is going to be 9 bucks. (Nobody wants to spend $30 for some track and then get nailed for $30 on shipping.)

I would wait for colder weather before listing though. There's a lot more demand for vintage trains in November than at the start of June, the result being more bids and higher realized prices.
  5. grumbeast

grumbeast Member

Thats fantastic advice, thanks Dave, to be honest it'll probably take until November to catalogue it!

Some of the track is still in the original Gilbert boxes as are some of the switches and crossings so I guess the first thing for me to do is to take a complete inventory of what I'm not keeping. I think I'll post it here in case there are some specific spares people are trying to get.. If thats the case I'd probably part with them for postage.

6. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hi...Stuff in original boxes can be worth more than "loose". Even empty original boxes have good demand. I know...I just bought a few to replace long-gone boxes for some of my AF stuff....