Soldering Track

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by pickeral, Apr 15, 2007.

1. pickeral

pickeral New Member

How are those "Cold Heat" tools for soldering track?I'm wanting to solder N gauge track .
  2. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

I have one but i doubt that it produces enough heat for soldering rail. Someone mentioned here on The Gauge that they had tried it and the results were not good.
  3. Chad

Chad Member

yeah - it stinks for that
  4. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

I tried it and i ended up burning a groove in the element at the tip of the cold heat.
  5. pickeral

pickeral New Member

Should I use small diameter rosin core plus a little flux or would the lead free they make now be alright?
  6. granddanois

granddanois New Member

Go to Radio Shack, get some Silver-Bearing Solder .022 dia. 62/36/2 part # 64-013 E

Get some paste Rosin Flux part # 64-022

Go home and cut the solder into short lenghts, smear a little flux on the outside of the track. Place a the solder piece on the flux, it'll stick. You can do this to many track joints, then follow up and just touch the solder briefly with a hot iron. Nice and easy. A little solder goes a long way this way:thumb:

good luck

7. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

My take on the Cold Heat - Garbage!!! Invest in a cheepo soldering iron set up at Radio Shack. Believe me, You will get great satisfaction from it.. The Cold heat, isnt. The tip will get hot and burn you. The tip will break, and the batteries burn up quickly. You will toss it in the can an a matter of no time... Great Advertisements thogh on TV.. Good luck!!!

My $0.03 .
  8. NCMRailroad

NCMRailroad Member

silver solder...

Canadian tire also sells this silver solder stuff. Not sure if it has a flux inside or not. Was considering the use of it on my rail joints too. it also requires less heat than the average regular solder.
    Who ever mentioned that rosin flux is available at "THE SOURCE" formally Radio Shack, thank you! I have been hunting for months for it.
  9. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

Silver Solder Can Be Toxic

Warning: Anyone contemplating using silver solder needs to be aware that some types contain cadmium, which is extremely toxic when vaporized. Never use cadmium bearing silver solder unless you know exactly what you are doing and have a properly ventilated work area.

Cadmium free silver solder is available. The package should clearly indicate that fact, and if it doesn't, don't buy or use it.

Unknown silver solder (not in original packaging, not labeled as cadmium free, etc.) should be discarded. Be especially wary of old stock silver solder.
  10. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

But ... but ... but I like Cadmium Eggs at Easter.

Thanks for the tip - something to watch for for sure.
  11. Travellar

Travellar Member

I use 64-005b .032 diameter rosin core 60/40 solder myself. It gives me very good results, in every way I can think of. Of course, that also means I'm putting small yet signifigant amounts of lead on my track...

I've never had the privledge of working with silver solder, but since we are discussing solders in general, I'll have to advise everyone NOT TO USE ACID CORE. Don't even use the same iron. Once you touch a section of track with acid flux, you may as well remove and replace that section of rail. Electrical currents will cause the metal around it to corrode.

And thanks for the warning on the Cadmium, Torpedo. And I thought the lead in my solder was bad enough.