Software to recolor PDFs on Linux?

Discussion in 'Software' started by jherazob, Sep 12, 2012.

1. jherazob

jherazob Member

As Armorman suggested to me, i want to recolor the recolored Necron Monolith he posted into the more "official" colors, the ones sugested on the official kit and used on the Dark Crusade game.

However, being on Linux i do not have the luxury of using Adobe Acrobat to do that.

What software have you guys used to recolor things on Linux?
  2. Zathros

Zathros Guest

wHAT IS THIS "lINUx" YOU SPEAK OF?...............................

All kidding aside, I would be curious to see what people use. Strictly P.C. here, as I am lazy. :)
  3. sgoti

sgoti Member

Well, Inkscape and GIMP come to mind.

Just tried both on Mac (under X11).

Inkscape opened my test PDF, GIMP didn't recognize the file.

4. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Maybe you could get someone to print to file, as a .bmp or a .jpeg?
  5. jherazob

jherazob Member

I have successfully opened PDFs on Gimp before, but this one is a multipage one, so i don't expect it to just work.

I may have to explode the file into individual pages, work on each one, then put it together again. Will experiment and report back, but I suspect it'll have to wait until Saturday.

I'll also ask on actual Linux forums and see if by any chance someone knows more.
  6. terrinecold

terrinecold Member

On the mac I open it in inkscape and have to explode it page by page before changing the colors.
    Using gimp it would be easier as it open multipage pdfs as layers or multiple images.
    However I know how to replace one color by another in inkscape (there is an extension for this which didn't work initially on the mac but I could make it work or you can use a text editor and do a global replace in the svg file) and not in gimp
  7. jherazob

jherazob Member

Well, Gimp does have a tool to replace colors if I'm not mistaken (can't check now as I'm on the phone on the train), it's a raster image editor after all. That would be useful. That too I'll check out.
  8. terrinecold

terrinecold Member

I am sure it has. However it is too bad to convert the vector image into a raster one
  9. jherazob

jherazob Member

Good point...
  10. sgoti

sgoti Member

Belay that. Installed a better build of GIMP, it opens PDF files just fine. Love how it will open multiple pages as layers!

Inkscape is about your only (free/cheap) option for recoloring (editing) PDF files and keeping them in vector format.

I had an ancient version of CorelDraw! for Linux, don't know if you could get the Windows version to run through virtualization or Wine...