Software recommendation

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by cdavenport, May 28, 2008.

1. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

It's summer vacation for this teacher. I would like to begin learning to design.

The first project I would like to tackle would be one of the monsters from Quake. I am a detail nut and like large scale. I was thinking of doing my first one in 1/6 scale.

I can use Autocad. I have some screen shots of the monsters.

Can anyone recommend a software package that will help me to get started?

2. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

If it's a biological object then Meta is indeed way better than autoCAD or Rhino, very shallow learning curve, and a reasonable price too! :D
  4. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Learn Sketchup...

5. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

What are the major differences between Sketchup and Meta?

Also, I have Adobe Illustrator; is that useful?
  6. mbauer

mbauer Cardstock Model designer

What version of AutoCAD?

I use AutoCADLT2002 at home, 2007 at work.

AutoCAD lt does a fine enough job, if you take the time to do the math. Since you already know autocad, why use something else?

Easy to scale the model at different sizes. Just draw 1 to 1. Each size will need a different layout. Each layout has to be setup in advance to maximize parts per sheet.

Easy to print to a whole range of sheet sizes. 2ft x 3ft plots are easily done on a HP Designjet plotter/printers (hp450c designjet at home).

7. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

There's a new plugin called Waybe under development for Sketchup that is pretty promising. Designing in any of the 3d programs is ok, you just have to have the right unfolding solution... Rhino3d from what I can tell (watching others and observing their work) is the best, but after that, you have a handful of other choices that work.

8. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

I have an older version of AutocadLT, 97, but it is still very useful. However, do I need something that allows me to do 3D wireframes?

My questions are driven by what I have seen on this forum and there is so much that it is impossible for me to collate all that I have seen into a "process."

I have also seen the term, "mesh," quite often. Do I understand that to mean an object that has already been translated into a 3D object that can be further processed?

Guys, thank you for your inputs. Once I get this figured out, I may create a primer for other aspirants.
  9. keith

keith Member

Try them all?
    It's the best way to see if you like the way they work.
    Sketchup, metasequoia, milkshape and blender are the cheapest and most documented.
    Warning: Blender may cause keyboard damage and hair loss :)

Rhino will be good later on, expensive but cheaper if your a teacher.
    (Hexagon2 would be my first choice if i had a system it would run on. :( )

'Mesh' refers to the strict use of points, lines and triangles (or polygons) to define a model. Spline curves, solids and surface patches are part of 3D but they are described using a mathematical formula, not triangles(polygons), so models that use formulas aren't described as meshes.
    The DFX format is an example of a mesh, it's triangles only.

Wireframes - a wireframe is a mesh that uses lines only, i think you meant a mesh? You can't unfold a wireframe in pepakura.

I say take a week to try out all the software.
  10. eric_son

eric_son Member

Yeah, try 'em all :).

If you want to stay on the inexpensive side, Meta / Sketchup / Pepakura would be a good option.
  11. The Hermit

The Hermit Member

i recommend you follow the 3d tutorials allready posted on here thye are very usefull and most of them use free software to boot that do wireframes like you asked

the hermit
  12. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Thanks all! I am searching as we type!