Software questions abound... HELP!?

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by CJTK1701, Jan 16, 2008.

1. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I've been interested in making my own card models for some time and I'm working on a Y-Wing project now, but.... I'm running around in circles trying to figure out where to start and what to stick with. I'm currently on a rather severe budget, so I've been DLing trial software and freeware. I've got trial versions of Pep, Met, Google Sketch-up, Alibre, GTKRadiant, a niff reader......etc....etc.... I really don't know what to concentrate my efforts on. I've had people offer to help, but everyone seems to have a different approach, or uses a different software set. I've always wanted to get into 3D and gaming software, but I'm running into the same problems. My hope was that I could get something that was relatively easy to learn and would break the bank while having some kind of transferability.

3Ds seems to do everything, but there's no way I can afford the cost... I'm really in a quandry here as to how to proceed.

Any suggestions of advice is welcome.
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I know at least one person that does it completely in paint and has designed some excellent models.

Really I think its a matter of picking something that is known to work and just play with it and practice til you get it. There is really no straight forward method....
  3. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Just as an FYI, I'll be posting a software comparo on the Wiki soon. You may find it useful.
  4. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I guess I got kind of carried away on the software downloads, but I figure that when you learn one, it may make it a bit easier to learn another, then again there's always the possibility that I'll cross link what I learn, get confused and frustrated and say to heck with the whole mess!

I'll probably start with Met and Pep, but I'd really like to know how to open some of the other files.
  5. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I'd definitely like to see that. What software packages will you be comparing and how do I access the wiki, this isn't the wikipedia is it?
  6. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

At the top of your screen, click on the Wiki button on the blue toolbar. click on the cardmodels link and again on another cardmodels link. Scroll down until you see the software for designing and coloring link and click on it. Eventually, you'll see a table of many types of software. I'm having some formatting issues so I've only entered a couple of rows of data until I get it resolved. but at least you get a preview.
  7. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Woohhooo! Thanks, I appreciate it!:thumb:
  8. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

...We definitely need more advertisements about the wiki... :D