So, what does your wife think?

In your opinion, what does your wife think of your model railroading?

• I'm single, I can do what I like!

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • She hates it with a passion, and wishes I'd stop

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • She ignores it, and hopes the fad will pass

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • She's occasionally makes the odd nice comment, provided I don't spend the mortgage

Votes: 69 29.0%
  • She's supportive and is happy to admit it to her friends

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • She likes it, and even joins in a bit here and there

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • She's probably a better model railroader than me, and certainly more keen

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters

Victorsmalls

Oct 8, 2005
No complaints about my girlfirend Beth when it comes to model railroading. We have been living together for about 4 months and I started the hobby after we got a place of our own. She has gone on numberous flea market trips and done some train shopping with me. Hell, she has bought a few freight cars for her to mess around with.

She even fit a trip to Strasburg, PA (choochoo barn) on our trip to Hershey, PA over Halloween weekend.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
I really like the way you set up this poll, rather than just saying "rate your S.O. on a scale of 1 to 10". Good setup! :)

My wife tends to tease me about train watching, and mentions it to her female friends to get their input. They all think I'm crazy. But that doesn't slow me down - in fact it might even build steam for my train hobbies.

Have any of you seen The Station Agent? I think you'd like it. It's not real deep - just a story about some friends, one of which likes trains.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0340377/

Big_Al73

Jul 26, 2005
West Virginia
My wife, she's helps with the scennery. She also picks out the rolling stock. Somehow she's becoming a UP fan. I model the B&O.

MadCoW1

Jul 9, 2006
LaCrosse Wisconsin
Well I for one am a very happy and lucky man. My wife not only supports my hobby but get involved as it's chief financial officer. Case in point, one her greatest finds was the trestle in this photo. She was at a train swap and spied it in a box, asked the guy what he wanted for it($15.00), did a little bartering and walked away with it for $7.00. It's nice that she has that ability as it allows more purchases for the MadCoW. BTW she hones her skills at work as a Culinary manager for a fortune 500 company:thumb: .
CNW_822_SW.jpg

Not to mention she's great company when railfanning.

Johnny

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
MadCoW1 said:
... She was at a train swap and spied it in a box, asked the guy what he wanted for it($15.00), did a little bartering and walked away with it for $7.00. ...

You got that bridge for seven bucks? SCORE! That's almost as cool as having a wife who cares!

ejen34

Aug 6, 2006
Brewer, ME
Been married to the same lucky lady for 28 years (well I am the lucky one :) ) and she does not have any trouble atol, especially since she is a bead maker and life long crafter. Since the kids have grown and the grand kids are around she has filled 2 rooms with crafts.....hmmmmm

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
Single and loving it (never been married before, but i've had some girlfriends think that my MRR hobby is childish or just plain weird). Im 23, so I have a lot of time to find that one girl...and to model trains

pennman

Jul 2, 2006
clarksville, tn
Love of my life

Well my wife until recently was very supportive of my Nscale layout. She builds building and details scenery, We go to shows and the LHS together. She has collected Logenburger baskets for as long as weve been married so its a good trade off. until about 3 years ago, I have a small machine and fab shop behind the house and got involved in I think its 1/4 scale ride on diesels and live steam, repair, rework and custom parts. Well anyway enough sales pitch.. She wants to build a 1/4 scale train and start taking it to the rail park in KY and south TN..
Dont know what to think but after 25yrs and counting I'm just happy she likes trains.
Tony:thumb:
Wouldnt trade her for anything!!!!:)

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
pennman said:
Well my wife until recently was very supportive of my Nscale layout. She builds building and details scenery, We go to shows and the LHS together. She has collected Logenburger baskets for as long as weve been married so its a good trade off. until about 3 years ago, I have a small machine and fab shop behind the house and got involved in I think its 1/4 scale ride on diesels and live steam, repair, rework and custom parts. Well anyway enough sales pitch.. She wants to build a 1/4 scale train and start taking it to the rail park in KY and south TN..
Dont know what to think but after 25yrs and counting I'm just happy she likes trains.
Tony:thumb:
Wouldnt trade her for anything!!!!:)

Hey that's really cool! Though I wonder if you're thinking of 1/8 or 1/12 scale. 1/4 scale trains would be hee-ooooooooooge. Huge.

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi,

just voted with a little help from my wife. I'm happy because my wife has no problem with the hobby. She owns a few locos (steam and diesel) and a tripple set of Athearn RDC's. I recently started to collect some n scale stuff, because of no space for a H0 layout and she HATES it. Quote: "We are in H0 NOT n scale!!!!!!!"
Anyway, she's good in painting figures and still try to finish the cemetary diorama she is working on for a while. But she's involved in a research on tumor cells for her MD and has not that much time for me or any hobby.

=> She likes it, and even joins in a bit here and there!

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
I feel lucky that after 18 yrs, we still get along pretty good. The 1st few yrs, we had the children come along and not much funds for the hobby. Kinda put them away until recently. Now looks like I'll be disabled from back injury from work and she is disabled. She's working on a degree in healthcare management, and I support her 100%. She in turn has been there for me the past few months, taking care of me when I could barely move. I started my MRR subscription and now she's kinda interested in it. We've talked about a garden railroad for the coming summer. I'll be getting a portable building in the back yd soon just for my trains, no room in the house. When I go to lhs, she's right there with me, picking out different things, making suggestions, she picked up the new Walthers catalog for us to read. It was her idea of the name for our local rr, Mid West Ga RR, with an excursion train to run from local yd to New orleans, called the N~leans express. We've become closer over the past few months, and with a new hobby (for her), looks like I got lucky.:thumb:

King Bonk

Sep 11, 2006
philly
www.kingbonk.libsyn.com
my wife is glad i have switched to a hobby that includes the kids more...so am i. i have a "hobby allowance" of $150 every two weeks so thats my limit, though i go over it periodically (forgive me father i have sinned, id like to confess...)

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wow -- what an interesting question! I've often contemplated starting a thread on this but kept putting it off.

Overall, my wife is supportive. Although she's not interested in MRR at all, she does show an amused interest, especially in how I expand and tweak my layout.

Admittedly, I have a tendency to over-do things. When I'm interested in something, I go at it "full-throttle". So I really have to watch how much time & money I spend and try hard to balance things. Obviously, it's not good if I'm down in the basement 3-4 hours, several nights in a row, which I can easily do if I'm not careful! Problem-solving, especially, eats up a lot of time. I'm also not a handyman, so problem solving takes longer! Sometimes, I just have to decide that I'm not going to "do" MRR for awhile.

Having two young boys also prevents me from getting to my layout until about 9 p.m. I realize this will change in the future, and my boys may even be able to help when they're older -- they already show an interest but are really too young now for MRR. I actually got back into this hobby because we started taking our kids to MRR and real-life train events!

Like others, I also have to make time for the honey do list. On the positive side, it's good how I will take one or both of our boys to MRR events or for rides on real, heritage trains.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
nolatron said:
I fall into the "She doesn't mind it and finds it cute, as long as I can still pay the bills" category :)

She's cool enough with it to let me put this in the dining room:
img9772ok7.jpg

Unless my ability to spot scale at a glance have been seriously contorted, what you have in your dining room is most definitely not N Scale, so nolatron the N-Scale'r, what is that on your wall?

Grotto

Jun 29, 2006
Toronto
emt49 said:
I am single but my girlfriend thinks i spend way to much money on it. but its my money:p

For now my friend: for now.

My wife was not happy when I told her I wanted an 8 X 16 (two fulll sheets of plywood) HO layout in the basement. Then I "changed my mind" to a 4 X 6 N scale, she was resigned to the fact and the "compromise". I've never drank nor do I cook up heroin anmore, so she's fine.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Grotto said:
For now my friend: for now.

My wife was not happy when I told her I wanted an 8 X 16 (two fulll sheets of plywood) HO layout in the basement. Then I "changed my mind" to a 4 X 6 N scale, she was resigned to the fact and the "compromise". I've never drank nor do I cook up heroin anmore, so she's fine.

Isn't that four sheets of plywood? And I'd have kept the size but still switched to N. More room for more expensive locos ;)

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
LoudMusic said:
Unless my ability to spot scale at a glance have been seriously contorted, what you have in your dining room is most definitely not N Scale, so nolatron the N-Scale'r, what is that on your wall?

Hehe. that would be a G-scale Aristo-Craft Dash-9 with 3 of 5-unit USA Trains intermodal set.

I also have a USA Trains SD-40-2 in my office/train room. I have some HO and G scale items on the walls on display, but only n-scale layouts. Of course that's all gonna change when we move in a few months. Switching to a HO layout.