So, what does your wife think?

In your opinion, what does your wife think of your model railroading?

• I'm single, I can do what I like!

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • She hates it with a passion, and wishes I'd stop

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • She ignores it, and hopes the fad will pass

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • She's occasionally makes the odd nice comment, provided I don't spend the mortgage

Votes: 69 29.0%
  • She's supportive and is happy to admit it to her friends

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • She likes it, and even joins in a bit here and there

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • She's probably a better model railroader than me, and certainly more keen

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters

jhoban

Jun 18, 2005
I am 25, and only been married for a year and a half now. She wasn't too keen on me starting this hobby up again, but she seems to enjoy watching me work. As long as it is not in her way, she seems to let me do as I please. She is much more concerned about my video games, but even that is changing. Nothing better than getting the wife hooked on something she hates. Hehehehe.

Fort Kent Dad

Sep 4, 2005
Alberta Canada
www3.telus.net
I wonder what the husbands think of their wives model railroads? What no women modlers? My wife supports my obsession and I support her's (teddy bears). She has bought me train stuff including a starter G set she wants put into her garden, and an On3 set for under the Christmas Tree. Last Christmas she bought a compressor and airbrush. She has gone to a train show with me, and LHS, but any trip to a city is a major trip for us as we are three hours out of town. We've been married going on 30 years and as I read above staying happily married means supporting each others endeavours. I've done my share of bear-hunting (teddy that is), and we have to be careful as both our hobbies could consume all our budget if we let them. The Garden Railroad has already been named by my beloved - "The Teddy-Bear Express" and it will have wee teddy's in the seats not people. It will be her train layout for sure.

lock4244

Nov 10, 2003
Scarborough, ON
Visit site
Be it model or prototype, my GF has one comment... "I just don't get it, I try to understand it but I just can't". But she loves airplanes (ex flight attendant) so go figure. I usually counter with "It could be worse, I could be into stamps or Star Wars" and that usually ends it.

Mike

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
My wife probably would not have married me if she had a real problem with my hobby.
She dosen't participate in it, as she has other interests, However, she does her fair share of work at the store and is willing to help out if a customer needs help or has a question.
She had no problem giving me the entire basement for the N Scale layout as long as the rest of the house (Except my office) remained train free (wall hangings and other railroad related art excepted).
My garden railroad outside came about last year when she stated "If I have to spend all my spare time sweating in the summer sun, working in the garden and clearing brush, I will Be Damned if you are in your nice cool basement working on your model trains.... You will be out there with me! (Fine dear, I will build a garden railroad :cool: )

Dan Crowley

Aug 10, 2003
Canada
home.cablerocket.com
My wife thought it was a fad, and a nice diversion. She never expected it to last, and become such a passion for me. She makes the odd nice comment about my work, but would much sooner see me spend my time painting and renovating a house that doesn't need painting or renovating!!!!

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
Like many others, she's glad it isn't bar-hopping or wild women that I'm into. She doesn't really pay much attention to it other than a few comments here and there. Rarely visits the train room that's located in a building about 200 feet from the house. Recently she started to go to trainshows and layout tours with me. Just lonely (bored) now that all the kids have moved on. She paints for one of her hobbies, I wish I could convince her to do backdrops for me!. She's tolerated this for 18 of our 33 years together. Lucky me!

NSSD80MAC

Nov 27, 2005
While I am into trains, my wife isn't. She claims I spend to much money on them, and that they are a waste of my time. She on the other hand has no hobby so it explains the bitterness I get from my other half. I am consistanly under pressure to stop spending money, altho I have taken other measures to help curb the spending, like using the infamous ebay auction. Things like two kato's for the price of one are the only things I will bid on. For those of you that have supportive wives, I envy you! Now the only thing that comes to my mind is, how do I convince her!? The sweet chocalate candies, or time spending , or watching movies have not worked for me! The strangest thing is, the mother in law likes trains! :-D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
NSSD80MAC said:
While I am into trains, my wife isn't. She claims I spend to much money on them, and that they are a waste of my time. She on the other hand has no hobby so it explains the bitterness I get from my other half. I am consistanly under pressure to stop spending money, altho I have taken other measures to help curb the spending, like using the infamous ebay auction. Things like two kato's for the price of one are the only things I will bid on. For those of you that have supportive wives, I envy you! Now the only thing that comes to my mind is, how do I convince her!? The sweet chocalate candies, or time spending , or watching movies have not worked for me! The strangest thing is, the mother in law likes trains! :-D
Gee, that's a real bummer. I don't know what life would be like without a supportive mate. I support her 100% in anything she wants to do, she in turn support me no matter how crazy my ideas are.:eek::eek:

Our philosophy is simple, we both worked hard to get what we have, we both should be able to enjoy life and do the things we want, assuming that they are legal, morally correct and we can afford it.:D There were times we could not, and we both put the brakes on spending, but the needs of the other have always been as important as our own. That's one reason we have stayed together these past 45 years.:thumb::thumb:

Tell her it could be worse. You could be into booze, women, drugs, or even worse, golf...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

NSSD80MAC

Nov 27, 2005
I've even tried that too! her response *POW* slap in the face :D, but there are times where I just simply do what I want, when I want. Most of the time its because I'm ticked at her, and to get her back .. umm well buy more trains!;) But on the other hand I DO love her, just that she drives me crazy with my choice of hobby. WE haven't really built a layout yet, and I'm hoping that when we do this will all change, specially when it becomes a family endeavour!

I love being the family guy, but I love my trains to! :thumb:

Dan