So Long...for a while.

Herc Driver

My sincere thanks to you guys for thinking of me...it means a lot.

I'll be flying combat missions in and around Afghanistan with the USAF. I'm currently serving with the North Carolina Air National Guard as a Major and Aircraft Commander. I'll be part of a good crew, using some really hi-tech, state-of-the-art equipment. My only regret is leaving home and family...and that I can't take my .45! But like so many before me...we go because we took an oath to do so when called upon, and it's my time.

Whenever I can, I'll check in from time to time and make sure there's still some progress being made on your layouts, and the weekly photo's show some great scenes and modeling accomplishments.

For those who have or have not served in the military...I think you'll understand why I posted this link featuring military service. It's a wonderfully done video.

http://www.gcsdistributing.com/?pv=tr&tf=TDP&DT=HSD

L

lester perry

Wish you all the best, and God will be with over there. My Sunday school class prays for all of you who serve every week.
Les

steamhead

May the Good Lord keep your wings level and guide you to many safe landings. We'll be waiting to see you back here soon.
Be safe and thanks for your sacrifice.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Geeze Herc!! Take care, thanks for all you're doing!

Like they said hopefully we'll all stay in contact with you!! Hope this tour goes well an quick for you!

We'l be praying and waiting for your safe return!

Biased turkey

Take care Herc.Thanks again for all the friendly help you gave to the members of this forum. We all hope here you'll be back soon.
P.S. Can't you take an N scale switching microlayout in a shoebox with you ?

http://www.carendt.us/

Jacques

iis612

God bless you and everyone else that serves our country. Be safe, and may all your flights be smooth and all your landings smoother.
We will wait, with great anxiety, for your return.

Matt

Herc Driver

Greetings From Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan

Thanks everyone for the kind words and prayers...I really appreciate it. Finally made it to Bagram and have already flown a couple of missions. So far...I haven't seen a single train track anywhere. Maybe they don't have any here...I dunno. But normally I'm looking out the windows for things other than trains and tracks...things that leave corkscrew smoke trails and arc towards my airplane. There's a lot of good being done over here...I'm sorry the news media doesn't see fit to print the good news as well as the bad. The people are generally friendly to the US, Canadian, UK, Aussies and other European forces...but the insurgents are not. There's a lot of work to do here just to rid this country of the really bad apples that stir up so much trouble all over the world. But no soap box for me...I'm just doing my job for the next few weeks, staying safe and working hard...just like everyone else here. May I please leave you with this story though...Last night I stood shoulder to shoulder along the main base road with thousands of other military members of various countries and services while three Humvees bearing the remains of two Marines and a Navy Corpman passed by. They were killed earlier that day from an IED. As the flag drapped coffins passed, everyone slowly and deliberately saluted the fallen comrades in arms. No words, no cameras, no joking around, just honoring those who paid the ultimate sacrifice trying to keep the world a safer place. Their job was to train the local Afghan army and police so that we could all go home someday and leave these people to themselves. They died doing their job and now they're going home. Take a moment to remember those that will not walk off the battle fields, but instead pay a debt on behalf of all of us. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
THAT is what the Press should cover.... The Honer we all share!!!!

God's Speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Stay Safe Herc!!!