So how big IS your print area??

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by wunwinglow, Aug 21, 2004.

1. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hi Guys and Gals, I'm laying out parts for a kit and having carefully arranged them into a "A4 + Letter" patch I wasn't expecting problems when I printed it out on my works Canon laser copier machine. But no.... It has a print area with a wide border down one the right-hand vertical ( in portrait format) so I have still not got a 'Universal' area to work with!

Can you let me know just what area exactly your printer will print into, as well as the make and model, and if you are using A4 or Letter, or Legal, paper? I want this kit to print out exactly the right size, without any of this 'fit to page' nonsense getting in the way! The more the better. Hopefully this information can form the basis of that digital model specification we discussed some time ago.

Thanks in advance,

Tim P
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

The Canon i560 prints full page photographs on 8.5 x 11.

Best, Gil
  3. How is this for a standard printer :?
    Xerox M750 runs 4mm margin around, with 2mm at the top, using U.S. Letter.

For edge margin I use a generous 1cm, or a daring 1/4" on my A4-L templates.
  4. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I lay out parts within 7.75" x 10.25" box with the 4.25" x 5.7" coordinates for the center of the Letter size page.
    Works well for both Letter and A4 size and so far no complaints from anybody....
  5. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

As the thread is about print, can anyone suggest a good A3 or bigger printer as I want to buy one. Iam not being off about it, but I would like to get some in put from someone who has one and not just spec's. I know nothing about these things, all I do is load the software and go for it. Thats why I still use an old epson 460 and a hp 3820 these things have not let me down yet.

Any help I would be most greatful

6. ButchPrice

ButchPrice Member

HP takes 1/2"

HP printers typically (inkjets anyway, this way on
    5 different models I have used) always confiscate
    a minimum 1/4" border at all edges (1/2" Under Windows;
    Sometimes one can get it to 1/4" top and left,
    but then you will be bound with .67" or something in that
    area at the right and bottom, and can only be accomplished
    through an application dialog, like under Word.)

I had an HP laser once that printed clear to the edge,
    but that was running under DOS.

The Windows driver doesn't allow for setting the borders
    under the standard print dialog, or through the control panel.
    Word, and some other applications, can sometimes overcome this,
    but that is usually the exception in my case.
    This can screw up even the best layout :cry:

Adobe unfortunately interprets and enforces these same perimeters.
    I have mis-printed about 1/4 as many as I have printed correctly.
    I hate scaling down, they never seem to fit right afterwards,
    or it totally smushes the graphics into obscurity. Blech. I have ruined
    a few prints in just that manner. Even with Adobe reader.

7. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I'm using HP Deskjet 1220C.
    Prints up to 13" X 19" and so far didn't have a slightest problem with it. Gives excellent detail on the print, perfect colors even on the regular paper.
    It is a bit slow, though.....
  8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I've been hankering after a big printer, so am now struggling with my conscience.... Should I buy an Epson 2100, or use the money as a deposit on one of these?

Oh, decisions, decisions.....

Tim P
  9. rickstef

rickstef Guest

buy the 2100, and print and build the Paper model version :D

10. barry

barry Active Member

Ask for a discount buy the printer as well

never bother to look how big the print area is prints DN and Gremir so who cares!!

11. jrts

jrts Active Member

The printer would win every time :lol:

The cost of keeping the bike looking like that :shock: :cry: also it would eat up the model build time cleaning it and that could never happen :lol:

12. Peter H

Peter H Member can't "drop" or "highside" a printer

Well I suppose you can drop a printer but the only thing that gets bent out of shape is your dignity, the printer and you can still tell us what happened..

Peter H
  13. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

My HP 7660 prints edge-to-edge 8.5 x 11 we believe this applies to all the HP 7600 series. My dead Cannon S520 printed edge-to-edge 8.5 x 11.

Top P buy the Yamaha it will feel a lot better between your legs then the printer and the gas costs less then printer ink.