Sneak Peek LUT Project

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by George B, Jun 13, 2007.

1. George B

George B Senior Member

Well guys, my plans for the LUT showed up. Here's a sneak peek at the assembly instructions. This should be an awesome build! :twisted:
  2. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Evening George,

Will the LUT be 1/48 scale? Approx 10' Tall?
  3. George B

George B Senior Member

Yup, I'm going to build it to 1:48th scale....working on the base right now. The wife is not going to like this "piece of furniture" in the living room. :grin:
    Actually it's going in a game room with high ceilings.
  4. paper-toys

paper-toys FOUNDER OF PAPER-TOYS

Wow, look great! i bet it'll take a while to complete. GOOD LUCK
  5. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

Very cool. I doubt that my wife would give up part of the stairwell to house it.
  6. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

wow... is this your design?

my god...
  7. Wow. Put me on board. I want this one when it is finished. Of course I don't have high ceilings so I will have to scale it down to fit my 1/96 Saturn V. But man this is something I have been waiting for a long time. Fantastic work
  8. George B

George B Senior Member

Actually the plans are 1/96th scale but have been sized up to 1/48th and after the wife saw the size of the base they may be scale down to 1/60th. I'll have to then rebuild the Saturn V to 1/60th. Life is about compromises.....I guess :(
  9. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

10. George B

George B Senior Member

Base prelim

Here's HALF the base with the 1:48th Saturn V sitting on it. Dotted line indicates approximate location of other half. It's sitting on a Ping Pong table BTW
  11. George B

George B Senior Member

12. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Did you photocopy and enlarge that one...or scan n print?

John John
  13. SteveM

SteveM Member

Funny, all the copiers here where I work are all really just integrated scanners and printers, very few true xerographic photocopiers around anymore.
  14. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

OK thanks for that...

John John
  15. SteveM

SteveM Member

I know I didn't answer your question :) just noting that for me, "photocopy" is the same as "scan and print".
  16. mvink

mvink Member

Nowadays, most "photocopiers" in the US are essentially printer/scanner machines that will actually connect to your PC and act as a printer. This is true for most of the major makers of copiers (i.e. Xerox, Ricoh, etc.)
    They will still do "photocopying" as well as enlargements an reductions.

That's what Steve meant to say in his own lovable way. :wink:
  17. George B

George B Senior Member

Base Progress

Here's the base so far. Hope to start on the tower tomorrow evening.

The "photo rendering" looks like heck up close but at a few feet it doesn't look too bad. I'm still not 100% sold on this kit yet....we'll see.
  18. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Yeah I think the kit was designed in 1/144 scale and was simply enlarged by the seller for his 1/96 version, So doubling that to 1/48 scale really isnt helping the over all quality. Its a real shame too that all greelts design work as well as our modelling work will be covered over by the MLP cut out.

I kind of thought that the 1/96 was good enough to build but It might be a better choice to use the kit a s a scratch build reference for anything bigger. I dont really know anything better refernce wise for the LUT.

OK keep it up, you are doing great.

John John
  19. George B

George B Senior Member

I am cleaning it up in CS3 to help bring back the "sharpness" and details lost even at the 1/96th helps.

Yeah I agree it's a reference model if anything and maybe one day I'll tackle designing a LUT of my own. Hey, it's mostly right angles so how hard could it really be. :roll:
  20. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

aw that's a shame...

Maybe I'll just wait for sir Carl's LUT when he starts it (that would be one gigantic build) :-D