Snap Switches

racer25j

Jan 15, 2007
Hemet, Ca
Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I need a little info on the atlas remote snap switch. What is required to make it work besides of the switch assy and a power supply from say for instance, the accessory terminal of a power supply?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

racer25j

Jan 15, 2007
Hemet, Ca
I ordered up a few of these left and rights for a layout I will try to attempt.

851.jpg

racer25j

Jan 15, 2007
Hemet, Ca
Great, that's what I had thought. Does anyone know of a site that shows a simple wiring diagram that links two or more to one supply? I plan on using my bachman controller accessory terminals for power but I wasn't sure how I was going to hook them up.

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
Breed got it right. That's exactly how I wire mine. I've got a row of momentary switches 2 feet long! One thing, take the time to line up the postitions of the momentary switches so they all go the same way for a certain route... It's really worth it to be able to glance at the switches and see that, because they are all to the right, say... you know your are on the mainline.

sidetracked

Dec 4, 2006
racer,,,, also the same as I'm using,,, mine are only set up temperary to make sure everything works right so when i do it the final time the wires wont show, but here is a pic,,,, I mounted them in a position kind of realitive to the switch if that makes sense,,, and then wired them all to where if the switch button is up the switch is straight thru or if it is down it is thrown,,, for me it makes it easy to glance at it and tell,,,, not saying i dont mess up once in a while but it seems to work pretty good,,,,,,,, good luck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, st

Attachments

• misc5-new 104.jpg
    misc5-new 104.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 134

Omaha Road Man

Jan 21, 2007
Another question, when doing track planning I'm assuming this type of switch is equivalant to an Atlas #3? It doesn't say on the package.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Another question, when doing track planning I'm assuming this type of switch is equivalant to an Atlas #3? It doesn't say on the package.

NO. There is no direct equivalent.

The Snap Switch diverging route is designed as part of a 18" radius circle. All (well, most) number switches (turnouts) have a diverging route that is straight. There are "radii equivalents" for them, but they do not form a true arc (part of a circle) like the Snap Switches.

The closest is usually described as a #4, or a #4 1/2, but as I said above, that is not strictly true.

If you are doing track planning with software, like Atlas RTS, there should be a library of parts that will have the right dimensions.

Andrew

racer25j

Jan 15, 2007
Hemet, Ca
yellowlynn said:
Jeff, if you have never used these before, that momentary switch is MOMENTARY. NEVER hold it down or you'll burn the coils and ruin the remote part of it.

Lunn

Does momentarily pressing the switch change the direction until it is presed again?

racer25j

Jan 15, 2007
Hemet, Ca
I think I understand it now. I haven't played with this stuff for probably more than 25 years and even then it wasn't remote. Thanks for the info and rest assured, there will be many more questions like this in the future.

Jeff

Aug 28, 2005
Northwest Indiana
racer25j, Way back when I got started, I used to paint the exposed side of the slide button the appropriate color of red (diverge) or green (normal) route to help at a glance the position or throw of a turnout ! Let the paint dry well before using the controller. They use to include a small sticker also. Good luck and enjoy this awesome hobby ! Joe

racer25j

Jan 15, 2007
Hemet, Ca
I picked up a book on wiring (easy wiring), but its more confusing than anything else. It's easier to when it spelled out out in english. Thanks again.

Jeff

Wait till I need info on track feeders.