Smokey Mountain Products

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Hi guys, anybody bought any of the Smokey Mountain line of cars??
I am going to order a couple of thier 20' Logging car kits in On30 and wondered if anybody had seen these yet?
The photo's on thier site look good and the price is pretty good at 18.00 per kit.
The kit includes trucks and #5 Kadee's.
Anyone??

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Hey Tileguy,
Is that the company that makes some HO cast resin cars and trucks, (50's era)? Do they have a web site? Did a Google search but nothing came up.

2slim

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Well I ordered 2 of them and Jim King from Smokey Mountain is an AAA+ in my book.
I initially contacted him regarding these argent 20' log cars and he followed up a couple weeks later (he wanted to be sure the order had not got lost in the mail)
Actually it got lost on my computer desk LOL
I sent out the order and they arrived within 8 days.
The Kits are nice looking and the instruction sheet very well done. He even included a history on the particular cars.
Ive washed the parts and will be starting the building this weekend.
I can only hope i can do them justice as they are very nice castings.
More to come...................................

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Nice Looking Log Cars!

I'd like to know about the coupler height for the On30 20 foot kit. The website doesn't seem to mention whether the coupler height is set to proper On3 or the Bachmann-esque HO height. At USD 54.00 for a trio, these guys are on par with the Bachmann log cars, aren't they?

Perhaps you could let us know when you're posting updates, Mr. Tileguy. :)

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Well Steve, I started in on these kits and ive got to say that I am really quite dissapointed.

These kits were initially designed as On3 kits and all that was changed was the wheel sets and couplers. Now, in changing the coupler to a #5 Kadee the coupler pocket requires trimming away material. When you get the coupler into the pocket finally , you find that the cars detail cover that is supposed to fit over the couplers draft box sits too high because this car was not truly designed with this coupler in mind. This means you have to shim all the way around to take care of an unsightly gap of about a scale 6 inches.
When putting the trucks together i found that the trucks main frame members were set for On3 distance so the On30 wheel sets wouldnt seat properly. This requires trimming a scale 6" off these members, sanding smooth etc before putting the trucks together.(it was a good thing i checked this before gluing because it would not have worked and the trucks may have been destroyed trying to take them back apart.)

I also had a Kadee #5 spring that was damaged in the package(one wing was bent over and when trying to straighten it, of course it broke)
Jim King was contacted regarding this and he of course said it was a sealed package so not his fault.(i did buy the kit from him did i not? As a seller of a complete kit i would think that includes all of its component parts).

Before this In an Email i asked him if he had actually built any of these and what problems i should look out for. He said he had and only that which was in the instructions.

It was painfully obvious that while he may have built these kits in On3, that was not the case in On30 and the troubles I had were not addressed in the instructions.
This product should never have been marketed under the On30 scale without some actual testing and perhaps even some reworking of the moulds to deal with the coupler issue.
I am not very pleased and was so frustrated i have put them away for now and will deal with finishing the project when i am not so upset.
I can probobly make them work (the coupler height may be an issue and i wont know this till i get the trucks actually mounted)
As there is no way to deal with this other than to change wheel sizes or shim the entire truck mount , i dont even want to think about this at the present time.

My advice, dont waste your time or your money.
They may be a good kit for On3, but if you have trouble, dont count on Jim King from Smokey mountain doing anything about it!!
I contacted Kadee this morning , it will be interesting to see what they have to say. It may be i'll have to buy 10 springs and pay shipping to get the 1 i need. Or they may say hey, its on its way. Truly they are not responsible to me,as i purchased through Smokey Mountain.Had Jim replaced the part, I'm sure Kadee would have taken care of him being a dealer.
We shall see what Kadee has to say, i am hopeful as they have been in business a long time!!(perhaps much longer than smokey mountain will be!!

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
What A Shame!

Wow - really sorry to hear that...but you know what is really GREAT to hear?

An unabashed, honest review from someone. No mindless ranting and raving or unnessesary flaming, but a rational critique of a product that didn't live up to expectations.

Thanks to you, Tileguy, for the review, and sorry to hear that this kit didn't live up to your hopes. I'll bet you'll still make them look great, though. :thumb:

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
An unabashed, honest review from someone. No mindless ranting and raving or unnessesary flaming, but a rational critique of a product that didn't live up to expectations.

Thanks Steve, Habit i guess from critiquing Tile products on another forum :)

Kadee emailed me back this afternoon. They are sending me out a couple of new springs and apologized for any inconvenience.
Now thats fast first class business.
Thanks to them I may get back to these sooner than I had expected.:)