Smoke units for Proto 2000 and Bachmann Spectrum

Nick8564

Does any company make smoke units for either the Proto 2000 2-8-8-2 or the Bachman Spectrum Class J 4-8-4? Thanks
Nick

N

nachoman

I would seriously advise against smoke units in HO. First, the "smoke" is atually a vaporized oil, and that oil will redeposit itself all over your layout and track. You will be cleaning your track more often. Second, the smoke never looks very realistic, and in my opinion looks so fake that it actually deters from the realism. Third, good smoke units get hot enough that they may actually melt the plastic boilers of your steamers if they are ever ran without the smoke oil. If you were to install a smoke unit, it wold be a good idea to make somme kind of on/off switch to turn it off when you don't want the smoke.

kevin

Russ Bellinis

I would have to agree with everything Kevin said. Also when our modular club is set up at a show next to the lionel or large scale clubs, the level of pollution in the air is beyond belief. I would have serious concerns about the long term health effects of using smoke units indoors in closed quarters. A member of the modular club I belong to bought a new BLI locomotive that was equipped with a smoke unit. He used it and the smoke box melted! Fortunately BLI replaced the locomotive, but he isn't using the smoke unit again.