Smoke stack "crown"?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by JakeofAllTrades, Feb 4, 2007.

  1. JakeofAllTrades

    JakeofAllTrades New Member

    This is an embarrassingly basic question, but what do you call those pointed, crown-shaped things that typically top the stacks of earlier engines and steamboats? Also, did they serve any non-aesthetic purpose? Thanks!
  2. radar

    radar Member

    Spark arrestor name says it all
  3. Jim Krause

    Jim Krause Active Member

    Are you speaking of the fancy decorative caps on the stack or the big ballon spark arrestors?
  4. JakeofAllTrades

    JakeofAllTrades New Member

    Hmm, I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. I did some 'net research and spark arrestors seem to be mesh dome things. I'm talking about like what appears atop Stephenson's Rocket.

    Yes, Jim, I mean the former. Is there a name for those?
  5. Jim Krause

    Jim Krause Active Member

    You got me on the name. I know what you mean but I think they were strictly decorative. Stephenson was English so the crown was pretty important in the 1800's.
  6. cidchase

    cidchase Active Member

    I think they put the crown on the smokestacks to keep the birds from perching on the tops
    and turning the black smokestacks white!!
  7. Renovo PPR

    Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

    :) it was a simple way to catch the cinders back when they burned a lot of wood. The true name of the cone is the Cinder Catcher Smoke Stack.

    That was simple. :)
  8. MasonJar

    MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

  9. cidchase

    cidchase Active Member

    I saw one site where the points on the stack were referred to as "feathers". :D

    They probably were mainly decorative, but I still like the "guano theory" best!!

Share This Page