Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Les, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Les

Les New Member

I would like to instal some smoke units to some of the excellent,small HO scale, Campbell Scale Model structures I have built. I would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction, be it printed[ how to] research material that is available, or forum members who have been there and 'kicked butt' [to coin a phrase of success]. Would also appreciate the names of reliable smoke units. Many thanks to all.

Les :)
  2. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I purchased some of the Firma Seuthe units for smoke stacks. They are rather weak; putting out very small whisps of smoke using a special fluid which costs like liquid gold for less than 20 min per load. I was/am very unhappy with them. Not at all what I wanted. I never found anything better so I will keep an eye on this thread to see if there is a better smoker. Fred
  3. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

What this hobby needs is a laser diode holographic projector, programmed to emulate various types of smoke patterns. Like, That steam and smoke combination that rizes vertically, and rapidly, above the stack, synchronized with the chuffing sound, and then levels out, and hangs there for about 10 car lengths, then dissipates. No oil, No Odor, NO MESS! (OH, and it all has to fit in the stack of an N scale locomotive
    :D :p :D :D :D )

I've been to several Lionel displays that should have been level 1 hazmats....

If that should challenge, as me it challenged, the younger minds of today, so be it! and fall on!
  4. nachoman

nachoman Guest

I once thought about using one of those halloween fog generators. They usually are on sale for less than $20 around halloween. I figured I could mount it under the table and pipe the fog up through smokestacks of factories and such... then my brother reminded me about how much fog those things put out, and that the fog tends to sink... But whatever "smoke" comes out of the smokestacks, it gets into the air of the train room and recondenses/settles somewhere. Even if it is just steam, that extra humidity could not be good for the layout.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Halloween foggers don't make steam. They actually "burn" a glycerol-based liquid. Like any smoke, it actually rises instead of falling like real fog. I had to make a chiller for mine to get the "fog" to hug the ground. They are fine for outdoors, but if used repeated indoors will leave an oily residue over you layout.

My wife has several Christmas Village buildings that use cone shaped incense to make smoke in their chimneys. I suppose you could fire proof the inside of a Cambells structure to make it safe to use incense.
  6. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Hey Pete nice to dream EH!
  7. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Not the last one we purchased Doc. It runs on tap water and has an ultrasonic emitter that generates the fog using compression waves. And it falls like fog because it is fog. But it vaporises about 3 to 4 gallons a day and wets anything around it... read dissolves white glue scenery. Fred
  8. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

What we really need is Star Trek's holo suite. 'Course if we had that we could just do a 1:1 layout and have a blast! :D :D :D :D
  9. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

In the club I belong to some members made different experiments with smoke generation - both on structures and in steam locos. To make it short, the outcome was always the same:

- It is expensive (Seuthe - yeeechhh!)
    - It simply doesn't look real
    - It covers the layout with an oily residue or everything around gets moist

Morale of the story: All smoke generators of any kind are now banned from the club layout.

However, Pete's idea sounds VERY interesting - now where's the nutty professor who invents such a contraption? :D :D :D

10. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

I like Pete's idea!! The main stumbling block is to get holograms that will work on a moving platform. Right now, they have to be totally stable, no vibration, concrete floor recommended.

Come to think of it, if we could have holograms on our layouts we could have LHP (Little Holographic People) actually walking around in our towns, clouds moving across the sky, animated backdrops of all kinds (how about a ship going by in the distance?) :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

The possibilities are endless!!!