Smartgroups ending 30 Nov

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by charliec, Nov 7, 2006.

1. charliec

charliec Active Member

For the newer people on these forums Cardmodels grew out (of, away from)
    an older group called papermodels hosted on Smartgroups. The Papermodels
    group left Smartgroups a while ago but they left all their downloads behind. Smartgroups has now declared it will end on 30 Nov and at that time the downloads on Smartgroups will vanish. In case anyone thinks that Waybackmachine or similar will be able to retrieve the models - Smartgroups is a database driven site not static Web pages - once it's turned off - it's gone.

Mike Hungerford - the moderator of papermodels has declared he isn't going to try to migrate the downloads to papermodels new home on Googlegroups.

There are some quite interesting models in the old Papermodels download areas such as the Wallace and Gromit Spaceship, Spanish FT-17 tanks, lots of sci-fi models, the RNZAF Skyhawk model, etc.

I guess I'm asking if Cardmodels should become the new home of the soon to be abandoned Papermodels downloads. If there's any interest in doing this I guess the first approach would have to be from the Cardmodels admins to Mike Hungerford. Beyond that the owners of the models should be contacted to seek approval/permission for the rehosting. I'll volunteer for the second step if it's needed.

2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Wow............. it would be a tragedy to lose such wonderful work.

I hope that it can be worked out!
  3. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Guy Behind the Curtains

I'd be happy to host the files for everyone to use (assuming we'd not be violating anyone's copyright). However, my schedule for the foreseeable future is so full that I don't know when I'd be able to get into the job. If you, or someone, could retrieve the files and transmit them to me somehow (ftp, email, a cd-rom through the mail, or whatever), I'll figure out the how to make them accessible to the members bit.
  4. Alcides

Alcides Member

I've one fast internet connection and space in my computer. If you need help I can host the files until they can found a new home. Of course only if we can get the owners permision just tell me.

5. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Guy Behind the Curtains

Yea, I think the first order of business would be to retrieve a copy of the files before it gets shut down.
  6. Chthulhu

Chthulhu Member

For the record, you don't need *my* permission, but you should definitely get the individual designers' approval before sharing the files in any way.

Please be aware that SmartGroups has a low download limit and it's quite likely that any attempt to get all the files will cause these groups to be locked out for up to a week.

Good luck!
    Mike Hungerford
  7. charliec

charliec Active Member

It sounds as though there's enough interest to pursue this.

I noticed that Smartgroups admins will raise the download limits so that the content can be downloaded until the site shuts down. The site owner/moderator simply has to request this - Mike can you do this please?. The pmcache sites on Smartgroups can't be downloaded from currently because they've hit the download maximums.

Would it be worth posting on Papermodels II that Cardmodels will host the files to turn down the download stampede on Smartgroups?

It seems to me that the Cardmodels Parts Bin area would be a good home for the Smartgroups content - the functionality is almost the same as the Smartgroups cache areas. The total volume of files is about 30M but I'd guess it would be much smaller once we've been through the cycle of getting permission and repackaging the files.

8. Alcides

Alcides Member

I think if you are going to do this you have to organize the work Charlie.

If you are going to download all the models is ok but if you need help please tell us what models every person have to download.

I'm thinking in to avoid all the persons trying to download the sames models. This only can be a wasted bandwith.

9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

His point is he wants people to stop downloading them so he can get them all in one place. If bandwidth is there it wont be a problem. If they go in the parts bin it should be organized by thread :) maybe... heh heh
  10. charliec

charliec Active Member

I can report some progress - I've downloaded about 60% of the content - there are a couple of the download areas which have exceeded limit so I'll just have to be patient. It helps to have a cable connection.

Some of the downloads have explicit permissions to host anywhere so I think we can pick these up directly with only a courtesy note to the author. I'll start working through the rest of the items contacting the authors for permission - might take a while.