Smallboot U-1

S

sdk2knbk

I finally got around to test building an old project. It's a small submarine I originally found in a craft book almost 30(!) years ago. I built the originals from a tracing I made of the patterns in the book (and I still have the orignal tracing!). Eventually I scanned it and retraced the pattern in AutoCad. The original wasn't very neat, so the parts aren't exact. This has caused a few fit problems. The main hull parts don't fit well, but can (I think) be dealt with. For this version, I stretched the original pattern, moved and modified the conning tower, and added numerous details to make the sub resemble a Type IX-C U-boat. The survivor of the original 2 I built is the red (painted) one. The others are various attempts I made over the past several years. The plain white one is closest to the original. Now that I've actually built the little beast, I see a couple of things I need to change. If anyone else is interested in building one, I'll post it on request.

Scott K.

Attachments

• S02EI003.JPG
    S02EI003.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 524
  • S02EI004.JPG
    S02EI004.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 348
  • S02FI002.JPG
    S02FI002.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 216
  • SB u1 1.jpg
    SB u1 1.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 277
  • SB u1 2.jpg
    SB u1 2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 264
S

sdk2knbk

GT5500 said:
I am sure I had that book out from the library once, did it also have patterns for a tug boat and some other boats?

That's the one. Unfortunately, I didn't keep a copy of the tugboat pattern, although I do still have the hull from the one I built back when. I actually found a copy of the book a while ago, but for some reason, it's a "digest" version, and the tug plan is not in it any more! I know it's the same book because they show a picture of it, and say something like "now see if you can try to build this..." I'll dig out my copy so I can let people know the title, maybe somebody has an original one somewhere? (found mine in a second hand store).

Scott

Attachments

• SB u1 1.jpg
    SB u1 1.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 745

jleslie48

Feb 7, 2004
Aimont, NY
sdk2knbk said:
That's the one. Unfortunately, I didn't keep a copy of the tugboat pattern, although I do still have the hull from the one I built back when. I actually found a copy of the book a while ago, but for some reason, it's a "digest" version, and the tug plan is not in it any more! I know it's the same book because they show a picture of it, and say something like "now see if you can try to build this..." I'll dig out my copy so I can let people know the title, maybe somebody has an original one somewhere? (found mine in a second hand store).

Scott

oh man, now I'm totally hooked anybody know more about this book, title author?

S

sdk2knbk

Book of Family Crafts

jleslie48 said:
oh man, now I'm totally hooked anybody know more about this book, title author?

"Book of Family Crafts" Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. 1973 Compiled by Louis B. Hellegers and Anne E. Kallem. Assisted by Eric Smith and the editors of Sterling. Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. New York. Oak Tree Press Co., LTD London and Sydney.

My copy says "Book Club Edition", which is probably why it doesn't have everything in it the original I took out from the Library did. The Model Boats chapter says "condensed from the books "How to Make Things Out of Paper" by Walter Sperling (c 1961 by Sterling Publishing Co.), "Model Boat Building" by Herb Lozier (c 1970 by Sterling), and 101 Toys Children Can Make" by Robert and Katherine Kunz. (c 1959 Sterling).

Enough info, I hope? Anybody seen one of these? (hopefully unabridged)

Scott K.

S

sdk2knbk

The white Version

Here's the plain white version. Try printing it on grey card. Colored version to follow later. Beware the fit problems!

Scott K.

Attachments

• Smallboot U-1 White.pdf
    89.5 KB · Views: 193

jleslie48

Feb 7, 2004
Aimont, NY
sdk2knbk said:
"Book of Family Crafts" Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. 1973 Compiled by Louis B. Hellegers and Anne E. Kallem. Assisted by Eric Smith and the editors of Sterling. Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. New York. Oak Tree Press Co., LTD London and Sydney.

My copy says "Book Club Edition", which is probably why it doesn't have everything in it the original I took out from the Library did. The Model Boats chapter says "condensed from the books "How to Make Things Out of Paper" by Walter Sperling (c 1961 by Sterling Publishing Co.), "Model Boat Building" by Herb Lozier (c 1970 by Sterling), and 101 Toys Children Can Make" by Robert and Katherine Kunz. (c 1959 Sterling).

Enough info, I hope? Anybody seen one of these? (hopefully unabridged)

Scott K.

I'd say! just bought the book of family crafts for $1 from abebooks.com

I'll wait to see what I get before ordering the others.

GT5500

Apr 23, 2006
Kent, England
Oh its a shame you didn't have the patterns any more I did trace them when I was a kid but I have since lost them. If I remember rightly they also did a book of racing cars as well.

jleslie48

Feb 7, 2004
Aimont, NY
this submarine looks a lot like the x-craft midget submarines:

http://www.bismarck-class.dk/other_...s_involved/submarines/pictures/x_craft_03.jpg

http://www.pit-road.jp/cs/cs10.jpg

rb_midget.jpg

http://www.one35th.com/model/book_image/rb_midget.jpg

S

sdk2knbk

Here's the book cover, and the color page with the sub and tugboat. Jon, is this the book you just bought? I see what you mean about the midget sub. I wonder if that was the inspiration for the original model?

Attachments

• Craft cover.jpg
    Craft cover.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 172
  • subntug.jpg
    subntug.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 173

jleslie48

Feb 7, 2004
Aimont, NY
sdk2knbk said:
Here's the book cover, and the color page with the sub and tugboat. Jon, is this the book you just bought? I see what you mean about the midget dub. I wonder if that was the inspiration for the original model?

don't know, bought it sight unseen online. I'll let you know when I get it.

same title and authors though. If its wrong, I'll bill ya...

Eric Ferguson

Sep 13, 2005
Somewhere around my house, I have a small book with the this tugboat, sub, sailboat, etc. I have no idea where it is (I'll start looking, no promises). But once it's found (IF!!!! <G>), I have no way of scanning, etc. However, I *do* have a digital camera.

Bought the book years ago in a used bookstore in Sacramento, Ca. Paid a whopping 50 cents for it. Keep find and losing it over the years. Very simple patterns, but still haven't jumped in building yet.

jleslie48

Feb 7, 2004
Aimont, NY
sdk2knbk said:
Here's the book cover, and the color page with the sub and tugboat. Jon, is this the book you just bought? I see what you mean about the midget dub. I wonder if that was the inspiration for the original model?

yup, thats the book I just got. cost me $1 plus $2.50 for shipping.

I think the steamboat has some potential as an origami/paper model as well.

I just ordered the other three books now as well.

GT5500

Apr 23, 2006
Kent, England
This is quite amazing I built that tug boat about 15 years ago and I traced the outline for the sub (didn't even know what the internet was then!!) but i never made the sub. Until recently I had the tracings but I threw them out because I never thought I would be interested in them. Great job on the colouring Jleslie, I made my tug boat out of backing card from and A4 pad and painted it with Humbrol paints, looked rubbish really but hell I was only young!!

S

sdk2knbk

Wow, Jon! I'll be looking forward to seeing that built. If you can make the little beast fit together properly, it'll look a lot better than my original white one (and better than the plain grey one I was going to make). Does your copy of the book have the tug in it? I'd like to take another shot at building it again sometime. My original was built from shirt cardboard, coated with Testors model glue, then painted with Testors enamel. I still have the hull in storage somewhere, if I can find it I'll post a pic.

Scott