Small track plans

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by roryglasgow, Oct 13, 2001.

1. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Here are some layouts I've come up with using Right Track Software.

This one is built on a 3' x 6' board. It is a simple loop with a yard and a branch line. There are no reversing sections. The roundhouse is my own estimation of the footprint of Atlas' N-scale 3-stall roundhouse.

A passenger station could sit at the end of the branchline, and another could be located along the siding at the top.

-Rory

Attached Files:

2. roryglasgow

2 x 4 with Timesaver

Here is a very compact layout with a timesaver. It fits on a 2' x 4' board. The radii are pretty tight, but are alright for small engines and shorter rolling stock.

-Rory

Attached Files:

3. roryglasgow

HCD - 2 yards and a loop

This is a variation on Atlas' N-11, Unhinged and Horizontal (which is the plan on which I based my own layout). This version has two yards. Trains can run through the reversing section and head straight into the destination yard (or the originating yard). I removed the passing siding found on the N-11 so I could make room for the entrance to the second yard. I think this one is a little more realistic than N-11, though, because you can actually enter a DIFFERENT destination from where you started!

And this layout still fits on a 30"x80" hollow core door!

-Rory

Attached Files:

4. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

You saved the best for last! T.R.
  5. roryglasgow

6. K.V.Div

K.V.Div Member

Good job on the trackplans Rory, and thanks for the link. Who says you can't have fun railroading in small places?
    Happy modeling.
    Cheers.

Terry