Small track plan suggestions

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
since moving into a smaller dorm space, my Door-sized layout is really too big.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm cutting down to a simple 2x4, using again an Extruded foam baseboard on a table.

Here's my givens & druthers:

2x4 to a MAX of 2.5x4.5 (smaller = better!)

continuous running, but not a simple oval

Small yard based on the Inglenook Puzzle (3 track yard holding 5, 3, 3 cars, yard lead holds engine and 3 cars, the 5 car track doubles as an A/D track)

3-5 industries able to take the random 5-car trains the Inglenook puts out.

Industries should be interesting to switch, but *not* a second puzzle (eg, not a Timesaver)

room for a small town (which could also be the 'industries' being switched)

I have a few plan Ideas, but wondered if anyone else might have some suggestions.
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
comments

TC: Hard to put a passing siding on an upslope, not to mention that it would have to be 8" curves to be inside that ring, plus passenger cars look bad on the tight curves.

Mason: there is no passing siding -- no room for it, so its hard to put facing point sidings and actually serve them.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
screwysquirrel said:
Mason: there is no passing siding -- no room for it, so its hard to put facing point sidings and actually serve them.

Squirrel,

There is one in #2, and I guess that is my favourite. It also has that cool diamond crossing which adds interest. If you go with #3, I would second the suggestion of a passing siding on the right hand end, even if you have to modify it a bit.

Andrew

PS - Have you seen this: http://www.naisp.net/users/mfischer/m_train2.htm

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
I like #2 the best, but they're all good plans. :)

SS, if you use a second loco, you could switch both facing and trailing point sidings without a runaround. Have a road engine and a yard engine. This might add some operating interest.

John

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
SS, you know, I was thinking about what you said. Regarding the inside passing siding being of to small a radious. You have not thought it through, my friend. The inside passing siding could be the same raidious as the main line (or the inside track in your case. I'm not sure what track is the main line, but).

This will work. I have done it before. You would probably need curved turnouts , depending on where you put them and how long the siding is to be. But I managed it with regular turnouts.

Imagine you have 2 circles the same size. Now offset the centers of the circles by a few inches. The circle on the right would be the end of your main line. The right side of the circle on the left would be your passing siding. Put a turnout where the two circles cross and get rid of the left side of both circles. Now bring in your srtaight tracks and join them to the turnouts and there you are.

Easy to do with flex track. ;)

I have it on a plan. When I find it, I'll post it.

TrainClown

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Trackplan 2B

This is as variation of Trackplan #2. It moves the docks and uses the saved space to lengthen the straight section of the S-Curves.

I also removed the crossover in this version. I moved two of the rerailers to the back of the layout to serve as road crossings

the Docks might end up as the 'Wharf' with only a single track

Attachments

• 2X4plus0023d2.gif
    2X4plus0023d2.gif
    57.8 KB · Views: 598

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
An Idea For SS

Hi SS, :D

So I was thinking, and My idea is somewhat different than what you have done so far. My idea is to have 1 industry on the small layout that the rail line services. My choice is a steel plant. I not long ago went by Ipsco Steel here in Regina and saw lots of rail action there. So I designed a steel plant of my own. All curves have a 9" radii.

Here is the basic track plan.

Attachments

• color plan.jpg
    color plan.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 254

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
My puter ran out of memory, so I drew in the various sites so you can get an idea of how the place would be laid out. :eek:
drawing.jpg

Here is a 3D view. Lots of cranes and machines in this layout. 27 feet of track in this one. My original plan didn't have the 3 way turnout. The raw steel pile was to be worked by machines and cranes from the train. But, I couldn't resist adding this section of track. :rolleyes:

Well, what do you think? ;)

TrainClown :wave:

Attachments

• F7 & crane on curve.jpg
    F7 & crane on curve.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 248