Small N-scale Layout

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I've been tinkering with layout plans on and off for the past several weeks. I have a 2' x 3' sheet of plywood, so I started brainstorming some trackplans that would fit the space. I thought I'd share one of them.

I just stuck the track together on the bare plywood--no roadbed or even nails. It's been a lot of fun. I'll add random cars to the interchange, then deliver them to the other three spurs, picking up the cars that are already there and bringing them back to the interchange. Yes, I'm easily entertained.

Strategically placed trees and roads might help break up the loop.

The whole layout is built with Atlas sectional track. Minimum radius is 9.75". All turnouts are #4.

Attachments

• littlelayout.gif
    littlelayout.gif
    30.6 KB · Views: 576

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Rory,
That looks an interesting layout plan, plenty of action I am sure.
Shamus

Urban

Oct 30, 2003
Sweden
www.canit.se
Originally posted by roryglasgow
Strategically placed trees and roads might help break up the loop.
Yes, this can work. Another thing I try to design in is to make the scenery on about 1/3:rd to give the impression the places are further apart than they are.

eatst14

Apr 17, 2002
Greensburg
geocities.com
Rory,

Glad to see you building again, I miss seeing teh construction pics of your old Copper Ridge, and was sad when you had to take it down. I do have one suggestion though, add 6 more inches to make the layout 2x3.5ft. I know space is at a premium at your new pad, but just 6 more inches will allow you to do this:

Attachments

• alternate.jpg
    alternate.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 487
Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
another suggestion

this is about 3.5 by 2.5, but its a switching layout disguised as a starter oval

Originally a 4x6 HO layout, you might recognize it as the Morgan Valley from Model Railroader and Atlas books

Attachments

• morgan_valley_n.gif
    morgan_valley_n.gif
    66.9 KB · Views: 422

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
eatst14, that's a great idea. With a little creative effort, that could be hidden staging. It would definitely add a lot to such a small layout.

Mr. Squirrel, I really like that plan. I sat studying it for some time. There is a lot of potential.

Thanks for the suggestions!