Small N scale layout or table layout

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by Pmagall, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Pmagall

Pmagall New Member

:D :D Hi all!

Well, this is my first post, and i hope to be not the last :).

I need help on finding a very small layout plan in N scale, even a table layout.

I did some resarch in the Net, but didn't find anything "small", the folks that live in US, they all do Big BIg Big layouts ;) .

I need something little.... but something that i can pickup easily.

If someone knows or have any plan that can send me, or even show me... i'll aprecciate.

and thanks for my new friend Luis!!! that show me this wonderful site... with so much to offer.

2. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Pmagall
    Welcome to the gauge, lots of good people here.
    Now then friend, need to know what size your little N-scale empire (Fantasy world) layout is going to be. Once we know that, we can post some odd track plans for you to look at or even draw you one up if you like. Now if you were into logging layouts Hmmmmm.
    Cheers for now

3. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Here is a link that might be useful:

It's a list of N-scale track plans in various sizes. Some are about as small as you can get in N-scale!

He lists some switching layouts that would be pretty easy to pick up and move around (they can be put on a board or a shelf)...
  4. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Welcome Paulo! :) You might want to check out Rory's layout (2and 1/2 ft. by 5 ft.) . Charlie has one about 1 X 5 and is buiding one about the size of Rory's (see Poor Fork Mining thread). Like Shamus said if you have a size in mind let us know and I'm sure you will see some track plans posted here. :D
  5. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Welcome aboard Paulo!
    I have a friend who actually built a small N scale layout in a coffee table with a glass top. As a talented furniture builder, he undertook the project more for the novelty of it than for train operating but it turned out well. I think the size is about 30 inches by 48 inches but it may be slightly larger. The track plan is two ovals that cross over each other with one spur leading to an industry in the middle o the layout. He pretty much lets a train run around while guests are sitting in the livingroom watching.
  6. YakkoWarner

YakkoWarner Member

I have seen plans as small as 24" X 48" for 'n' scale. Here is my Coffee table layout (in progress of course) it is 33" X 60" The very difficult part was to fit three levels in 6" of vertical clearance. I did not quite accomplish that... from the bottom of the support board to the top of the glass will be 6 1/4".

Attached Files:

7. Pmagall

Pmagall New Member

Well…. Thank you guys.. for your help.
    And this goes to shamus, Rory, Tyson , Ralph and Yakko.

Sorry, but I don’t have yet any measures of the layout. And what I want is really small, that I can put inside a closet, or under the bed… I do remember once I saw one on the Model Railroad Magazine some years ago… between 1990 and 1995. I can’t remember when exactly. I was so simple and he could keep it inside a normal closet.

I don’t mind it has two layers or level’s (sorry I don’t know the right term) . Something between 100cm x 70cm or 40” x 28” . with a tunnel and a bridge, and if possible with a very small station.

Shamus: what do you mean when you say logging layouts?

Rory: Thanks ! I saw the link you said… :) hummm and indeed it has small layouts very interesting .

Tyson: Thanks I saw Poor Fork Mining thread.

Ralph : Do you think you can have a draw of your friend layout?.

And Yakko… Keep the good job!!! I want to see it finished . yeah!!

If someone has imagination, and wants to give me a hand with an idea, :D feel free !!

:) :)
  8. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

9. Xaniel

Xaniel Member

See paulo, as I told you these guys answer fast. Really fast, and they give very informative answers.

You can ask anything, or almost everything about anything... even if your wife wants to throw you out your place with your trains they will find some strategy!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  10. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Don't worry Paulo, you can just sleep on my couch, as long as I get to run the train once in a while :D :D :D
  11. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

I'm thinking, you might make it in a large, shallow box with a lid, or like a brief case, so it will be protected from the worlds evil powers while in storage. Immagine being only 1/2" tall plastic man, when a giant shoves your whole world under the bed, then a dust bunny the size of your house falls on you! It could really wreck the poor little fellers ego.

I'm thinking you build it on plywood, with a 4" or 6" lumber frame around it, then a hinged or removable lid can be placed on top. Or you do two of these and one is the lid for the other??? The frame can be the support or "benchwork".:D
  12. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Here's the track plan for my friend's coffee table layout. Its an oval superimposed over itself by means of a crossing. The drawing isn't to scale but, like I said above, the track plan is within a 30 inch by 48 inch size (give or take a few inches). The layout is inside a frame of six inch wide boards and is covered on top with a sheet of glass. He used all commercially available sectional track. Scenary includes a hill to break up the sight line as you follow the train around and a road leading to a small industry. He air brushed hills and trees on the inside of the table frame to create an illusion of distance when you look into the layout.

Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

13. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Don't ignore layouts drawn in other scales. You can build an HO layout in N by halving the dimensions (approximately) although bits can get tight.
  14. Pmagall

Pmagall New Member

Hi Luis!

By the way, my hummm..Ex-wife allready did that... she kept the cats, and i stayed with my trains... it's fair!! :D :D ;)
  15. Binderchk

Binderchk New Member

Small Layouts

I was just reading this thread and I also enjoy small layouts. I have a small layout, bigger the a closet layout but I have added on to the idea I am working on. It is 8 feet long by 22" wide. Anyway, there is a group on Yahoo I have joined and learned alot about small layouts and many plans that offer alot of switching action. It is
    There is a guy there called shortliner and he has a folder of many small layout plans and information on setting it up. I have a folder there also called binderchk. It has my logging layout and the Old Ohpir layout I am working on. Anyway, the information and people are very helpful. That is where I learned about the Gauge, another fine source of information. If you have any questions, feel free to email me off list at I have many layouts on my system and some ideas for operation.
    Hope this helps.