Small Modern Logger

Dansco

All,
I need help with comming up with some operating sceanrios for my small HO modern logger (built and running trains).

In my layout pic(attached) you can get a sense of whats available.

Notes about the pic:
Village isnt required but I want to scenic an overgrown spur so this is a good spot... maybe a derlict light idustry would be just as good...

The Log Loading area is at a high elevation
The Village is at medium elevation
The Log Sort area is at Low elevation

Areas are visualy seperated by Elevation/trees/foliage etc.

The "rest of the world" exists somewhere off of the "All Points EAST/WEST" line (a short spur that ends in a tunnel)

Key scenes:
Log trucks delivering logs to the bunk cars in the Log Loading area.

Logs being ulnoaded from the bunk cars by big fork lift in the Log Sort area.

Attachments

• danville_logging_with_layers.jpg
    danville_logging_with_layers.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 20

Russ Bellinis

I think it would help if you could give us some elevations in inches of the various tracks so we could get a better idea of the different levels of track and how steep the grades are.

Dansco

Sorry for the delay in reply. I was flooded, you might have saw it on the news (Vernonia Oregon) anyway....

The only real elevation is the "Log Loading" area which is about 6 inches above the rest of the layout.. and yes its a very steep grade, completely unrealistic, but works. The village is just an inch or so higher than the base.

Thanks
Dansco

pgandw

I really like the layout! Only I would have to use a Shay or Climax instead of modern era, but that's me.

Something that I see that would really enhance operations would be to a run-around at the bottom of the layout. Add a cross-over from the oval to the spur where it says "all points east/west". That would allow you to set up your run to the log loading area as a proper push (up)/pull (down) operation without the engine having to go around the loop to get on the other end of the train.

With this concept and the added cross-over, the run-around track and the staging area spurs (all other points) becomes a defacto yard for putting trains together to either the log loading area or the log sort area.

my thoughts, your choices

Dansco

Thanks! Iv been noticing the lack of a run around in my operations. I think Ill put one in tonight!

I don't quite see how I can fit a crossover where you suggested, if I didn't mention it already, this layout exists as drawn so moving existing track inst likely to happen. (im saving all my major expense/effort for my next layout)

I was thinking a runaround between the two lowest spurs, (which would fit in the current layout with no other changes)

Ill open up the layout in xtrxcad and try a few things.

Thanks
dansco

pgandw

You do have a runaround. Are the tails long enough to handle a locomotive and at least one car? It the tails are locomotive or car length only, it could become a tiring switching puzzle every time you have to shift things around.

Personally, I would recommend the runaround be formed by adding a right hand turnout into the bottom right of the loop, and a left hand turnout into the straight track labeled "log loading". The turnout for the second log loading spur can be moved to the left as necessary. With this runaround, tail lengths are plenty long, the runaround is right in the middle of everything, and you can leave a car(s) spotted at the small depot without having to move them every time you need to make a runaround move.

my thoughts, your choices

Dansco

I tried last night to squeze in the trun outs like you sugested, no joy. Thers a mountain in the way. (note the log loading area is refrencing the upside down "y" shape in the lower right corner. These tracks are 6" ABOVE the spurs along the bottom) anyway. I did add the runaround in RED above and with some tweaking I am able to get a 50' foother and my bigger switch engine all the way around the run around, so the spurs are long enough.

Thanks
Dansco

pgandw

I added my proposed changes in color. But you seem to have your own solution anyway.

danville_logging_with_layers.jpg

yours in small layouts

Dansco

pgandw:
Oh, wow, I see it now. I would need a curved turn out I think. But now what you say makes sense. Iv never used a curved turnout, so it just didn't come up in my mind, sorry for being brick headed!

I just noticed your sig, foggy Oregon coastal. Only I'm not "foggy Oregon" rather I'm in "Misty Oregon" (I live near to Mist Oregon) Well, thanks again for your ideas,