Small Layout for Teen

trainwhiz20

Aug 9, 2004
Tampa, FL
Hey guys!

I came to the gauge because I've seen how helpful you people are here at the boards and I could really use your help!

Here's my story:

I'm a 14 year old (freshman in HS) in Tampa, FL. I'm nuts for trains, and I've been my whole life. I guarantee no one in crazier about trains! I belong to the Largo Central RR in Largo, FL, which is a 7 1/2" live steam railroad with a mile and a half of track, a 150 ft. tunnel and a bridge! Anyway, model railroading. I have a collection of some HO stuff... mostly steamers and passenger cars. I used to be big into Lionel, but too much money and too much space for a teenager. HO, luckily, is a little smaller (And a lot cheaper!:D ) without getting too small (i.e. N scale). I can't go to N scale anyway, due to the fact I have a lot of HO items. I'm mostly into 1950's era railroading (steam/diesel), especially passenger operations.

For me, being a teenager, space is at a premium, not to mention the low budget I have. One option for a layout is to have is a 6'x4' rollaway I could store under my bed... (expanding the 4' a few inches to allow for 24" radius curves.) I could also possibly do a 1'x4' extension that would connect to the layout and hold a "Union Station" with platforms and would squeeze in the closet for storage. The layout would obviously be on wheels, and luckily, not much benchwork. Any ideas?

I know you guys will complain that the space is too small, but it's all I've got.:p My trains have just been sitting in boxes, and I want them to stretch their legs!

Get creative! And feel free to ask any questions. I've pondered this, but alas, I'm not a good person at making the most out of space!

Yours Truly,

Devon

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
No law says you have to stay in HO just because that happens to be what you already have! :) I have seen people give up the hobby because the equipment they had wouldn't work in the space they had. In the space you have I would sell the HO and switch to N. You could do HO in that space but passenger cars either won't go around the curves you will end up with or look reallyyyy bad getting around those curves. However if you went with freight only...................

BTW, Welcome to the Gauge :wave: :thumb: :D

trainwhiz20

Aug 9, 2004
Tampa, FL
Re:

Tyson,

I know there is no law... but for some reason I like HO. I don't know why, I just do! N is more expensive, and I like the trains I have in my HO collection. I've pondered the idea, but it just doesn't seem to work for me. Besides, my parents would get agitated if I went through another scale change! :p

So, let's assume the layout's HO....

Thanks Tyson! I know the passenger curves would be EXTREMELY tight, but a small layout is better than no layout.

:D

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
OK, sme ideas

I'll assume you want to stay in HO with a 4x6 or 4.5x6 layout you can slide under your bed.

Who makes your passenger cars? MOST peoples cars, except Walthers, will negotiate a 22" curve. Walthers needs 24" Walthers cars are also more expensive. The Lifelike passenger cars will even squeeze around an 18" curve, but the overhang is horiffic.

here Is a 4.5x6 I just threw together in about 30 minutes, based vaguely on the Richmond passenger terminal, where all trains back in.

you have a small inside yard that should hold 5 passenger cars and an engine. (say 1 diner, 1 sleeper, 1 dome/lounge, 1 coach, and 1 observation or 1 boxcar for baggage and a shorty caboose). the passenger station can hold two other similar lenth trains. (best to have one train in the station and one circling)

All curves are 22", all turnouts are Atlas #6

Attachments

• shorty-passenger.gif
    shorty-passenger.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 627

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
You might also check into the possibility of a local modular club. The layout space you have at home is a bit small, but if you were to build a portable 2' x 4' module to hook up to other modules you can be a part of a large model railroad whenever the club sets up. You might find a small switching layout to be fine for use at home, if you have a club setting to run your passenger equipment in.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Well,a 4'x6' is workable..The main thing is to use your space wisely..I would suggest your basic loop and some industries to switch as well as a interchange track plus the hint of a small town..Forget about unrealistic grades and space eating mountains go for operation with mini scenes around your industries.Use a view block(if possible) to divide the layout..You can also run your passenger trains or a through freight if you don't feel like running a local freight and switching the industries. :thumb:

Devon,

As you can see from the plan, the left end of my layout is a 4X6 module. It's connected to the other end by a 9' X 18" "shelf. I too was working with space limitations (which have now relaxed after construction is almost complete. :rolleyes: ).

Anyway it supports some short-line activity with 3 industries, a station and an engine service facility. Even some light passenger traffic. Realistic? I dunno. And I'm not recommending the layout, but you can get some HO action into 4X6 if necessary.

MyTrackPlan%20with%20loops.jpg

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Russ Bellinis said:
You might also check into the possibility of a local modular club. The layout space you have at home is a bit small, but if you were to build a portable 2' x 4' module to hook up to other modules you can be a part of a large model railroad whenever the club sets up. You might find a small switching layout to be fine for use at home, if you have a club setting to run your passenger equipment in.

Hi Devon,

I would second Russ' suggestion of a modular approach - with a club if possible. You should check out September's Model Railroader. There is an article on a modular home/club layout that features one of the guys from my local modular club (www.hotrak.ca).

The modular approach is really great, and it is doable in a small space.

Andrew

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Welcome to The Gauge, Devon! Like you, I started out with a "under the bed" layout. It was built on wheels so it could be rolled in and out. Building under the bed does limit how high your structures and scenery can be, although you might be able to raise your bed or have the buildings be removable.

Here's a link to a very nicely done 4X6 HO layout.

http://www.brant.net/gvmr/layout.htm

You may also want to check this site out as well. http://www.carendt.us It has plans for micro-layouts and some very creative ideas for modelling in a small space.

John

trainwhiz20

Aug 9, 2004
Tampa, FL
Hey!

Sorry I haven't been very responisive. Lots going on, especially with school starting.

Thanks for all the ideas. Right now I'm negotiating with a totalitarian dictatorship (a.k.a. my parents) for space in our upstairs bonus room. Hopefully, as I previously stated a 4'x6' or 4'x8'. I'd probably add a few inches to each end to accomodate 24" radius curves for my passenger cars.

Thanks!

Devon

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Welcome Devon. I had to give up on a home layout for my passenger fleet as it consumed way too much real estate. That is my number one reason for joining a modular club---I can run all my big stuff on 36" radius curves were it just looks better. As for a home layout, I have my sights set on this one from the book, "HO Railroad that Grows" by Linn Westcott. I'll just do it complete from the start and use the latest in foam construction techniques. If you're ever out on the Panhandle, drop in to the clubhouse...

http://www.geocities.com/miraclestriprrclub/

Attachments

• layout3.JPG
    layout3.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 455