Small engine repair shop: go-kart

shaygetz

I'll be lookin' for them pics, Glen :thumb:

Dave, the pricing signs come in two thicknesses. The "New lower price" signage and the pricing digits are slightly thicker than those "For Sale" type signs. The others are used in the displaying of cosmetics. It is about as thick as those magnetic signs you see on trucks. This is what I normally use on my buildings with scribe sides. The other I use for curved roofing on rolling stock and locomotives. Note the lettering on the unpainted plastic...

You can charm them out of most retailers when they are changing over to other designs.

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 159
Ok Shaygetz,

I saw your shed and the first thought that popped into my head was this.

I wonder if he could do an HO scale HO scale layout in there.

Feel up to the challenge? :D

You still amaze me with you creativity and it really inspires me to improve my modelling so I can someday be able to do what you do.

rdlshadow

Oh My. That is such a great Idea. Wonderful job. Gonna head home tonight after work and make one or two or how ever some many. The thought of a Go Kart Track comes to mind. I have a empty space that can't figure out what to put in it. Well now I know. Once again great idea and wonderful job making it

shaygetz

Chessie1973 said:
Ok Shaygetz,
I saw your shed and the first thought that popped into my head was this.
I wonder if he could do an HO scale HO scale layout in there.
Feel up to the challenge? :D
You still amaze me with you creativity and it really inspires me to improve my modelling so I can someday be able to do what you do.

Actually have one of those planned for a freighthouse come R.R. Museum I am building from a Campbell kit.

As for the creativity, I found that poverty helped me in that area. Coming back into the hobby after a 2 year hiatus in Bible College wooing my missus, I had very little money to spend on a hobby. Came across this huge deal on a "junk" lot from an estate that yeilded a bunch of partially finished kits and oodles of detail parts. If I wanted anything out of the hobby, I had to build it from that. While I've prospered somewhat since then, I've grown to where I prefer to build it over buying it if at all possible and using the savings to get that new locomotive or kit. Not to mention the kick I get when someone asks, "Who makes that kit?"... :)

Thanks again for the kind comments.

jon-monon

SG your scratchbuilding is to the point where it's only limited by your immagination, which is also wonderful.

Robin - what's the helmet for? :D :D :D

SG, I think you're right. Sometimes it seems like we're hampered more than we're helped by the abundance of RTR. I guess it's nice to be able to walk into a store, plunk down a ton of money, and have a complete layout, but then you get a layout that looks just like everyone else's...

I'm trying to do something about the sameness on mine right now. Keep it up--I'm learning a ton from you.

rdlshadow

Once again the Gocart is wonderful. I have started a few myself. About the wheels. yes they appear scale wise a little big. But hey when dealing with something that small. I've yet to see any place you can order 1:87 scale gokart wheels. So where did you get those wheels from?

shaygetz

I appreciate that, Dave. I really enjoy this facet of the hobby and try to promote it as much as possible. The mowers are just the kind of thing to separate one's layout from all the others. Once one realizes that this particular fribble glued to that particular fribbitz looks amazingly like that jabberwocky that Pop use to keep out back, the trap is set and before you know it, you're building a whole yard sale of stuff :thumb:

I still think the biggest barrier is that we think we have to build it to work like a gocart or mower or whatever. We forget that it doesn't actually have to run. Do it well enough and people's eyes will "see" pull ropes, seat belts, gas caps, etc.... See Billy Ray's swamp rat for how this works.

Shadow, the wheels came from an N scale cement mixer made by LifeLike. I'm currently building a roto-tiller and another cart of the type I grew up with---smaller wheels and no rollcage---using Micro Machines vehicles. Bought by the dozen at yardsales for pennies, their wheels come in a variety of sizes. I snap them up whenever I can get them. The wheels of Billy Ray's swamp rat come from the Micro Machine Monster truck series and scale out perfectly for this use.

Attachments

• hyram.jpg
    hyram.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 87