Small cut out areas

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by dfarrell, Mar 17, 2007.

1. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

What are you guys using to cut out the small cut-out areas on thing like this?
    I am limited to a knife and scissors, but I can't get those rounded corners that way. Are people using some kind of drill for that?

Attached Files:

• 008.JPG
      File size:
      64.2 KB
  2. Texman

Texman Guest

Well, if you have a drill set, some of your smaller drill bits, twisted by hand would do the trick.

3. shrike

shrike Guest

Umm.... great care?
    If you tip your knife closer to vertical (and use a new sharp blade) you can cut some surprisingly small radii.

Another trick is to use a fairly large needle to 'poke' the ends of the slots, then cut the straight sides. Flip the piece over and you can shave off the edges raised by the needle.
  4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Like Shrike said, hold you knife vertical, but then you may have to sort of chop it in little tiny sections rather than trying to do a sweeping cut.
  5. barry

barry Active Member

small cuts

First spread pva over the back of the part and let it dry well. Gives it a lot more strength and does not tear so easily
  6. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I just use my smaller knife and cut carefully, turning the paper as I go...
  7. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

Has anybody tried using a pin vise or a mini push drill?
  8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

You can do that but reinforce the back of the part with pva glue or such so the dril removes the paper instead of just pushing it aside! Or get the bomb Japanese push drill!
  9. Texman

Texman Guest

The pin vise/push drill is exactly what I use, works like a champ.
  10. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I've got a set of hole punch pliers that have 5 different sizes from about 2mm down to about 1mm. They're designed for leather. They would make a cleaner cut than a pin vise would. I bought them at a place that sells leather working and beading supplies.
  11. popala

popala Member

Hold the knife straight up and cut with the very tip, using only up/down motions of the knife (no dragging). On Polish forums they call it the "woodpecker technique" :D Here are the results:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  12. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

I just use a Sharp #11 and cut veerryy carefully. One trick I do use is to paint the back of the part with Future Floor wax almost saturating the part. This stiffens up the paper and makes it less likely to tear and you will get a very clean cut no fuzziness.

Oh I forgot I use a 3 power OptiVISOR when I am working on a model it helps to be able to see what you are cutting

Jim Nunn
  13. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

:shock: :shock: :shock: :-o Now THAT's small.......
  14. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

Some great tips. Thanks everyone!