Slow Speed???

Rackman

New to hobby. Have N gauge 8 wheel drive, 2 flywheel engine. Since I have a micro-sized layout, I like to run the train really, really slow. IS THIS HARD ON THE ENGINE???? Note that this engine will sustain a really, really slow speed.

Thanks - The Rackman

N

nachoman

first, welcome to the gauge!

and to answer your question: no, running slow should not harm anything. Some larger electric motors have fans in them for cooling. Running those mortors too slow will cause them to overheat. Small DC motors don't have such fans, and sometimes not even vent holes. Running a motor at slower speeds will not cause damage unless it overheats. I've run plenty of HO locos at their slowest speeds for hours without failure.

kevin

Rackman

Slow speed

Thanks Nachoman for quick response to my question. Am retired now and am having fun making things for my mini-railroad. I am humbled by some of the work I see being done by others.
rackman

brakie

If slow speed would damage locomotives I am afraid my locomotives would be in the junk pile..You see I strive to get the slowest speed possible out of my locomotives..How slow? They pass my "test" when they will creep from tie to tie. :eek:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Motors run on voltage and current (power), the faster they turn, the more current they use. The higher current causes the motor windings to heat up because of the resistance in the winding wire. If they get really hot, the insulation melts, causing shorts. The shorts cause the motor to draw more current and the condition gets worse until the motor gets so hot that the windings start to burn up. At that point, there is not turning back.

Sooo, based on that, I agree with the others, running motors as slow as you can will not harm them, it will in fact extend their life imeasurably.