Slip switch?

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
I have a double switch (?), crossover switch (?), or slip switch, which it says on the back. Does anyone know anything about them?

I can figure it out, but if I installed it, I would immediately forget about how to work it. Does it have any value? And is anyone interested?

This should probably go in the sell or trade but I don't know enough about it.

Lynn

Attachments

• slip 1.jpg
    slip 1.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 19
  • slip 2.jpg
    slip 2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 16

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Lynn: what you have is a single slip switch, as best I can see from the photos. You can only go around the left side of the crossing, while a doupble slip lets you go around both sides.
Single slips were uncommon in North America, but very common in Britain. They had a phobia about facing point switches (ones that would be approached from the point end) in passenger operations. On double track lines, a station would have a small yard on one side of the line. On one side there would be a switch located so the goods (freight) train could back in. The other direction would be set up with a switch and a crossing to get to the yard. The crossing would usually be a single slip, set so that it made a trailing crossover but trains going forward couldn't be re-routed by it. (Long winded explanation with no diagrams!)

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
single/double slip

From what I understand now, this must be a double slip because it can curve right/left, or go straight thru from all directions.

It is too complicated for me, If anyone knows any kind of value I will put it in sale/rtrade column.

Thanks for the info

Lynn