Slash Railroad Sign

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Are you sure it's RR related..? If it's past the crossing I don't think it's got anything to do with the crossing. It also looks like it's been there for more than a month....Maybe ask the traffic dept. ( or whoever) what the devil it's supposed to mean....I can't make heads or tails of it....

chooch.42

Jan 23, 2007
Gibsonia, Pa.
Hi, Mikey...If I'm supposed to take a GUESS, they used to use signs something like that on the B&PRR (ex-CSX) to mark a speed restriction - called 'em "Firecrackers". Am I RIGHT - What did I WIN ??? BOb C.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
I should have made it clear - i guess.. I'm asking because I'm curious as to what it is... I don't know either :( :(

This is a pic i found on the net, not an actual picture :) So dont go by the picture itself :(

As far as where it is it's along the tracks - on the engineer's side... as we drive across the grade, we can look down the tracks.. As the train moves West, it would see the Whistle sign for "Grade Signal".... go across the street/grade... then a yard past the grade. go right by this sign.....

Reduce speed might be a good guess.......

chooch.42

Jan 23, 2007
Gibsonia, Pa.
Mike, if my memory is correct (B&P carried on with CSX rules until adopting NORAC's book), this sign would have been preceeded at an appropriate distance by a sign with the speed of the restriction, with this sign at the beginning of the restricted area. Conrail would have had a yellow diamond with a white "S" to mark the point of restriction,and a green square with a white "R", Resume speed sign at the end of the section. Don't remember what B&P/CSX used as a resume speed sign - last saw one of these in the late '80s. Think I've got it right, but someone else may have better info. Bob C.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Sounds good!! :) This is along a CSK/NS Grade crossing,, and I've seen the Conrail markers that you mention along the Northeast Corrider -0 so i know they are there LOL

This may be a new restriction, since they have a block about 2 miles away, but it's been there for years.. i wonder if all of a sudden they decided to change the speed in that area, or just moved the sign(s)

I'll have to pay attention to the side of the grade that "leads to this area" to see of i can see the "speed Limit" sign :) :)