slash burner in O scale

sam

Jan 19, 2003
california
Visit site
Hi All,

Can anyone provide info or plans on scratchbuilding a slash burner. I am currently building my first scractchbuilt project- a sawmill.

Thanks for the help in advance.:)

sam

Jan 19, 2003
california
Visit site
Vic,

Thanks for the picture and your effort. The real problem is to determine the size, shape, and construction methods so it does not look totally out of scale. I really do not have the slightest idea of how to start this structure. If it gets to be a big problem. I can do as I have seen in pictures of small sawmills where they essentially build a wall and burn the excess materials.

Thanks again.;)

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Sam, The Sydam Co. once had a sawmill kit in HO that included a slash burner. It was nothing more than a piece of tinplate that had been rolled into a cone and topped with a piece of screen mesh.

I'm sorta thinking that this might be one of those projects that one would just build to look right along with the rest of the scene rather than trying to get it to scale.

I was just thinking that you could get a sheet of poster paper and make up some mock ups of different sizes until you "hit" on a size that looked right in relatioship to the rest of the scene. Then you could "refine" that to include details and etc. Maybe corrogated siding for the walls, an access door at ground level for cleanout and pipes leading from the saw and planer cyclones to blow the slash into the burner.

Just some thoughts.:)

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Vic, I think those were called wigwams, because they looked like Indian Modular Housing (IMH, also called teepees). That's what I recall from something I read somewhere sometime, but I could be wrong.

I would think such a structure would be built ad-hock and might be dependant upon materials at hand, the size of the operation, and the builder. So I would guess there is a realistic tolerance of +/- 50% or more... So I back your vote to just do what looks good.

Steam Donkey

Jul 9, 2002
Maple Ridge, BC
Visit site
Burner Book

Hi Sam,

I just found out about this about an hour ago (what timing, eh?). A paperback book titled "Woodburners" written by Daniel Mihalyo is published by Princeton, apparently has everything you ever wanted to know about wigwams, teepees, slash burners, bee hive burners, sawdust burners (did I miss any?) :D I think I'll look for this book myself!

Stan

sam

Jan 19, 2003
california
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the input and help, but I think I got lucky.
I live near Denver and Caboose hobbies(which I frequent) has a diorama in O scale of a sawmill and slash burner hidden in a corner of the store. Within the next couple of weeks I will go and examine it and try to get some info which I would be glad to share if anyone is interested.:D :D :D